• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding out of state - illegal amount

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

runscott

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I recently got a $180 ticket in South Carolina for going 76 in a 55 on a 2-lane highway. I sped up to pass two cards going 53, then dropped the cruise control back to 60. The officer said that in SC you can't go above 55 to pass. I was pretty upset, but it's too far away to go to court. What really has me fuming is the South Carolina statutes for 15-25 mph over the posted limit is minimum of $50, and not to exceed $75. So how can they charge me $180? It wasn't a work-zone or anything else special.

I will be in Iowa on the court date. Is this worth having the date changed and driving 150 miles to fight in a South Carolina court?

Curt581

runscott said:
I recently got a $180 ticket in South Carolina for going 76 in a 55 on a 2-lane highway. I sped up to pass two cards going 53, then dropped the cruise control back to 60. The officer said that in SC you can't go above 55 to pass.
So you sped up to pass, but then dropped back down to a speed that was still exceeding the speed limit?

I think you should use that defense.
I was pretty upset, but it's too far away to go to court. What really has me fuming is the South Carolina statutes for 15-25 mph over the posted limit is minimum of $50, and not to exceed $75. So how can they charge me $180? It wasn't a work-zone or anything else special.
Simple. It's called "Court Costs" and surcharges. They add up.
I will be in Iowa on the court date. Is this worth having the date changed and driving 150 miles to fight in a South Carolina court?
Only you can answer that.

runscott

I thought this was a legitimate web-site, but I get a smart-aleck response?!?

If you read the title and content (both) of my post, you would see that my complaint is that South Carolina law only allows for a maximum fine of $75 for my violation. If anyone legitimate has a response to my question, I would greatly appreciate it. I haven't visited this site before - if this is the way people normally respond, I'll move on. Thanks in advance.

Curt581

runscott said:
If you read the title and content (both) of my post, you would see that my complaint is that South Carolina law only allows for a maximum fine of $75 for my violation.
You're right... the maximum fine is $75.

Court costs and surcharges are NOT considered part of the fine amount. Don't take my word for it, call the Clerk of Courts where you got the ticket.

Sorry you didn't like my response... Next time, please say up front that you'd prefer be told what you want to hear, rather than the actual truth.

runscott

you still have work to do

better, but you still need to work on your interpersonal skills. Thanks - that's exactly the information I needed and I'll send out my payment.

runscott

court costs and surcharges

Is there any limit to what they can charge you? If the state law says $75, yet the ticket is for $180, that must include an undocumented, legally un-controlled amount of $105. How high can this go? What if they charged me $500, or even $1,000? Do I have to pay whatever number they write on the ticket? Do the amounts listed by the South Carolina legislature mean absolutely nothing?

This is my first speeding ticket in 15 years, so it's not like I'm a speed-freak or anything. I don't mind paying for what is definitely a violation, but I'm curious just how far into my pants South Carolina is allowed to go.

Crazed98

I believe you are looking at the wrong statute speeding tickets in SC are $75- $200. He gave you the right ticket you are just doing the wrong research.

Think about what you said the limit on a speeding ticket $75 that is unheard of.

You only pay the court charges if you go to court they are not included on your ticket.

lwpat

It also depends on whether it was a state rather than a local officer. Locals can double the state so it is cheaper to get the same ticket from a trooper. The state just added a 25.00 surcharge to all tickets to help balance the budget. And of course speeding tickets are not about revenue.

runscott

I'm a lot less upset about paying this fine - thanks

I broke the law, no doubt. I get a speeding ticket every 15 years (3 now), so the odds were catching up with me. Thanks for the responses - hopefully I won't have to ask any more questions under this particular thread for another 15 years!

I had been considering going back to Pickens County, SC to fight this thing, but this banjo music kept playing in my head :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">