• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

careless driving

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

goodwh2

Colorado - I was driving to work in April. This was the day after our big snow storm. The road I was on was a countryroad. These roads are never cleared of snow. I was going 25 miles per hour on a stretch of road that was clean and dry. I came over a rise in the road and hit ice and snow. My car was spining the second I hit this part of the road and I rolled the car. The rollover was due to the drainage ditch on the side of the road. There was no witness there. After I crawled out and walk home, (no traffic to stop and help) I called the police and went to the hospital. After many hours of xrays and still in the xray room, a snotty Colorado Springs cop came in while I was undressed and said what happened. I told her and she handed me a ticket that was already filled out.

My question is, how can she know that I was careless. There was no witness, and I was going at a reasonable speed for the conditions I was seeing at the time. I don't know how much slower I could have gone. The roads in to town covers 50 miles. If I went any slower I would never get anywhere in a single day. And they never clear snow off these roads, as it is a dirt road.

Curt581

goodwh2 said:
These roads are never cleared of snow. I was going 25 miles per hour on a stretch of road that was clean and dry. I came over a rise in the road and hit ice and snow
How can it be clean and dry... if it's NEVER cleared of ice and snow?
My question is, how can she know that I was careless.
The car in the drainage ditch with it's tires pointing up in the air is an excellent indication.
There was no witness, and I was going at a reasonable speed for the conditions I was seeing at the time.
Obviously not.
I don't know how much slower I could have gone.
You could have gone the speed which would have allowed you to keep your vehicle from crashing.
If I went any slower I would never get anywhere in a single day. And they never clear snow off these roads, as it is a dirt road.
Welcome to winter driving in Colorado.

goodwh2

to curt581, your nasty comments may be funny to you, but are worthless to this discussion. If you don't have any real advice, try reading the posts rather than making a fool of yourself and replying to them. To answer the question of how roads can be clear on some parts but dry on others is simple, some areas have direct sun light on them as they are flat areas of the road, and others have hills that cover a length of road that prevent sun light from melting the snow. Also there are areas that are perfect for snow drifts depending the the direction of the wind. This is the country and the weather conditions are different in the city that has buildings that act as wind blocks, as well as active snow removal service.

Oh and a point to curt581, I have been driving in Colorado for 30 years and I have never had one accident ever. I think I know how to drive in the snow. If I didn't, I would have been in this situation before. I simply was looking for advise on this ticket. That is what this site is for is it not?

Curt581

goodwh2 said:
Oh and a point to curt581, I have been driving in Colorado for 30 years and I have never had one accident ever.
Doesn't putting your car in the ditch count?
I simply was looking for advise on this ticket. That is what this site is for is it not?
You asked no such thing.

The single question you asked was :
My question is, how can she know that I was careless?
The Answer was:

The car in the drainage ditch with it's wheels pointed up in the air was an excellent indication.

You were involved in a one-car accident. Exactly who else is to blame?

We try our best to give answers that are truthful. Unfortunately, the truth isn't often what people want to hear. They'd rather be sympathized with. They'd rather be told they didn't do anything wrong, and it's not their fault.

Well, the vast majority of the time... it IS their fault.

Apparently, you're another one who'd rather be lied to.

:rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">