• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

16 years old and I got a speeding ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

birdgirl

What is the name of your state? Texas

I am 16 I just got a speeding ticket in Texas for going 75 in a 65

I was going with the flow of traffic and I didn't realize how fast I was going, I know that's no excuse, I was speeding and it's my fault. I told my Dad right away. He was very very upset, and he should be.

Here are my questions I have to go to court with my Dad because I am under 17, What is going to happen to me? What will they say? What should I say? I am going to take Texas Defensive Driving course. Will my insurance go up?

I am so afraid, I have graduated early from high school and now I want to go to collage and I have to count every penny. please please help me I so am worried.
Thank you for your time

keith.e

If you take defensive driving your insurance won't go up. I've taken it twice over the last 5 years. I live in Texas and my insurance doesn't even know about my tickets. Be sure to have your parents give the defensive driving certificate you'll receive to your insurance agency because it will save you (or your parents) 10% on insurance payments over the year.

lwpat

If cited for two or more moving violations within 12 months, a teen is subject to a license suspension of 90 days to one year.
I think this applies even if you take the driving school.

Texas Driver License Points
The Texas Driver Responsibility law establishes a system that assigns points to moving violations classified as Class C misdemeanors and applies surcharges to offenders, based on the type of offense and the time period in which the citation was received. For each conviction, DPS will assign points to a person’s license as follows:
Two points for a moving violation conviction in Texas or that of another state. Points will not be assigned for speeding less than 10% over the posted limit or seat belt convictions. Three points for a moving violation conviction in Texas or another state that resulted in a vehicle crash. Points remain on the driver record for a period of three years.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">