• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Frustrated In Florida [What Else Hurricain Damage]

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kozlow

What is the name of your state?Florida

History
11 Building Complex[ Each building with it's own deductable which will be reached with roof replacment of each building]
20 Yrs of age
Original Concrete Tile Roofs [no deck material under them just battens]
Roofs only dried in with roof tiles shoved in to place and not properly attached. Nails which held down tiles some are there but most are either loose or rusting away. No leaks before the Hurricanes, but what about now? Well guess, they do now!!! This is due to the roofs shifting from the winds we recieved from the 2 hurricanes. The nails that might have held tiles in place are no longer there or are gone due to rust and corrosion.

Old Board Members did nothing for 4 months after the hurricanes due to the fact that a new Board was going to be voted in in March. I have been voted in on the new board and think we might be in over our heads on this problem. Meantime, the Insurance Adjuster came to look at the damage and by looking at only 1 roof top decided that there was NOT enough damage to cover the roofs. The Adjuster made up scopes and has since been fired from the insurance compay for not being licensed in the state of FL. A new adjuster was assigned to our claim and has told us to get estimates .

Our roofs are NOT fixed, they are not even completely water tight. The past week of rain has caused tiles to move and water to leak into units. Units that had dry repairs done to them and owners living in them.

First and foremost, should we hire a private insurance adjustor to take care of our claim with the insurance company? Are we biting off more then we can chew with this situation ? I have no Ins backround and am afraid we will miss out or over look somthing.Would the private adjuster be able to speed up our insurance process ? We are already months behind and hurricane season is upon us. Or should we submit the roof replacement estimates [$600,000 dollars]to the insurance company and await there move to see if they will do the right thing ? 10% is what I have been told they charge for their services ?

Any advise on this situation would be greatly appriciated

Kozlow

BlondiePB

Report problems with insurance adjusters and insurance companies to Governor "Bushy's" office in Tallahassee. You'll be able to find info to help at this link www.myflorida.com

The board of directors needed to deal with this in a more timely manner, like in August after Charley and/or Frances or in September after Jeanne and/or Ivan, rather than wait six months until March for a new board.

Kozlow

Amen to that BlondiePB. I think the real reason was that they did not even run for re-election is the mere fact that I have seen some of there estimates on their condos damage and they are out of line with the scopes that the insurance co had given us to work with. Padding the bill while in office ? :eek: Thanks for the link

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">