• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

katkins

In June I was issued a speeding ticket. The officer claimed I was doing 50 in a 35. There is no possible way on the road I was supposedly clocked on to do 50, the road is narrow and winding and full of holes. I asked the officer to see the radar and he said it was zero. It was also quite a while after I passed the officer that he decided to stop me. I was even in a different town and on another road. I have plead not guilty, but I am not sure what will happen or what my rights are when I appear. It goes without saying this is my first ticket.
I live in Connecticut and would appreciate any help. I woould have paid the fine if I was guilty, but I know I was not even doing over 40. Am I not allowed a reasonable margin for error? Because I believe this officer only stopped me to make his quota. I was once told if you get stopped for speeding you have the right to see the radar and if the officer cannot show the radar reading or a printout that the ticket should be dismissed is that true? I not sure if I should plead guilty to a lesser offense or push for a trial?

M

Marcia M

One thought. The cop can say it wasn't the radar but his expert opinion. (They gave speeding tickets before radar was invented.) Read a book on speeding tickets -- I think NOLO puts one out

A

AnFGuy82

So True. A similar incident just happened to me. Just take it to court and fight it, because I guarantee you it was just a dumb cop trying to make his quota.

katkins said:
In June I was issued a speeding ticket. The officer claimed I was doing 50 in a 35. There is no possible way on the road I was supposedly clocked on to do 50, the road is narrow and winding and full of holes. I asked the officer to see the radar and he said it was zero. It was also quite a while after I passed the officer that he decided to stop me. I was even in a different town and on another road. I have plead not guilty, but I am not sure what will happen or what my rights are when I appear. It goes without saying this is my first ticket.
I live in Connecticut and would appreciate any help. I woould have paid the fine if I was guilty, but I know I was not even doing over 40. Am I not allowed a reasonable margin for error? Because I believe this officer only stopped me to make his quota. I was once told if you get stopped for speeding you have the right to see the radar and if the officer cannot show the radar reading or a printout that the ticket should be dismissed is that true? I not sure if I should plead guilty to a lesser offense or push for a trial?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Sadly Traffic court is rarely ever a situation of inoccent untill proven guilty. I found xxxxx to be a great place to fight traffic tickets.
I am amazed - I thought the 3 year old thread revival earlier today incredible. But, an EIGHT year old thread? :eek::eek::eek:
And, just as incredible - you posted a link to a CANADIAN site. I just don't know what to say...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">