• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

accident in parking lot

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

miffed

I live in Louisiana and my daughter was accused of hitting a car in a school parking lot. She has a learners permit and was backing out of a parking spot with the help of her grandfather who was outside of the vehicle. Neither she or her grandfather think they hit the other car but another student reported that she was the one who hit the teachers car. The police have come to her grandfathers and have also called her out of class for questioning. They are calling it a hit and run. My question is if her grandfather was outside the vehicle watching her back up in the school parking lot and did not see her hit the other vehicle, then how can the police call it a hit and run and what can be done to stop the police from futher harrasment. Also i was under the impression that in traffic accidents that occur on private property, police have no jurisdiction. Is this true?

W

Warren E

Not from your state, but police have jurisdiction over crimes on private property in every state, and hit and run is a crime.

Now it's a question of fact and who believes who.

S

SLEEPLESS

WARREN IS 100 % CORRECT IT IS YOUR DAUGHTER AND GRANDFATHERS WORD AGAINST THE STUDENT

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">