• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A customer had an accident on a bicycle I assemled...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

boxingrob

What is the name of your state? NY

I work for a bike store and a customer recently had an accident on a bicycle I assembled. Apparently he has two broken arms. This bicycle was checked and approved by another employee and passed inspection as a safe,sellable bike.

Should I be worried about being sued?

What are my rights as an employee?

You Are Guilty

boxingrob said:
What is the name of your state? NY

I work for a bike store and a customer recently had an accident on a bicycle I assembled. Apparently he has two broken arms. This bicycle was checked and approved by another employee and passed inspection as a safe,sellable bike.

Should I be worried about being sued?
You'll have to ask the Psychic Hotline the answer to that one.

What are my rights as an employee?
Assuming you are sued personally (unlikely, they would sue the store), if the store has insurance, you would be covered under their policy and they would provide an attorney.

Of course, in order to sue, the plaintiff would have to show that the injuries they sustained were a result of negligent (careless) assembly of the bike. A rather difficult proposition.

stephenk

does your store have the customer sign a release when they receive a bike assembled by you or other employees? How long did this customer have the bike before the accident? What do you know about the facts surrounding the incident?

You Are Guilty

While I doubt the OP is coming back, in thinking about it, I suppose the injured P could possibly sue the store on a products theory as well as negligence, so a waiver might not be dispositive. In any event, that's why I'm sure they have insurance :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">