• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stopping for an unmarked/ununiformed police officer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

slacker

I was recently told that you, as a driver, is not obligated to stop for an unmarked police car and ununiformed officer (driving it) if he has his lights on trying to stop you.

ie: say you are driving and the car behind you has red/blue lights (varies by state). Obvious signs of a police car. But you notice the car has no markings as a police car (other than the lights). You further notice that the person driving appears to be in civilian clothing. The only marking indicating that it is the police, are the red/blue lights flashing.

You decide that is not enough, and continue driving, ignoring the officer.

I was told this was legal?? It can't possibly be legal? red/blue lights ARE the sign of the police... pull over!

The argument was made that anyone can buy red/blue lights and impersonate a police officer.

Any thoughts?

H

Hairball

Depends on the situation. Do you want a reason to ignore getting pulled over by a "plain brown wrapper", or are you legitimately concerned about your safety? I know that in Colorado there has been several convictions in the Front Range concerning the unlawful use of colored lights. The boys were doing just what we all fear- playing cop and trying to rip people off.

I say go by your gut feeling. If that is not sufficent, stop at a gas station or convieniance store, but make sure there are lots of people around. If it's not a cop, they'll split. And if it's a cop, hopefully they'll understand.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">