• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

signature on tickets??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jkirk001

I was recently pulled over for an expired tag. Well my insurance had also lapsed and I was taken to jail because of a suspended license. The officer wrote me three tickets but I did not sign any of them. He never told me what I was being arrested for and I was never read my rights. Is there something I can do in this situation?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks..jeremy kirk

M

MB

The signature only means you got it, not that you agree with it (it helps them prove it was YOU who got the ticket) and if you don't sign it they can take you into custody in some states.

He doesn't have to read you your rights until he puts you in custody.

L

legaleagle

An officer only has to read you Miranda warnings when he asks you questions beyond the standard "booking" questions. In your situation, the officer witnessed all of the offenses first hand and doesn't need your testimony to win his case... You're SOL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">