• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can my house escape the "high risk" label?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ocelot

What is the name of your state? Alabama

Hi folks!

I hope that somebody here can help me find more reasonably priced homeowners insurance.

The history is this:

I moved from my old house to my new house. The old house was not sold, but was to be renovated. I had the same insurance company insure both of them. Several months after I moved out, there was a theft at my old house - breakin. The insurance company paid the claim (about $3500), but cancelled the policy because they said the policy required that the home be owner-occupied.

Now, I'm an honest guy. I could have told them that we occupy both homes and one is our weekend home or something like that, but I told them that nobody lives there and we only were coming to mow the grass (the thieves stole the mower too!). So, they canceled. I started calling around and found that nobody (almost) would insure an unoccupied house. Finally, as I was about to have a contractor begin renovation, I bought a policy which cost almost 6 times as much as the original policy - just so I would have something on it while the workers were working on it. At that time I expected to sell the house after the renovation.

But... I kept it - and it continued to be unoccupied. I let the expensive insurance lapse - and was "self insured" (or un-insured, depending on your point of view).

Now, I've moved back into the house (separated from my wife), and trying to get it insured. I'm honest when I call them. I tell them about the theft and that the house has been unisured for some time. The "normal" companies tell me they cannot insure that house - until it has been insured by a high-risk company for 6 months to a year.

The high-risk company will charge me now 3 times the normal rate.

Is there any way around this?

The strange thing is, I suspect that if I sold it, the new owner would get the normal rates. And, meanwhile, my other house is insured at normal rates - so it's not that they think anything bad about me - but about the house.

Why would they think the house is high risk if the owner (me) has been willing to leave it uninsured for more than a year?

I don't get it.

Thanks for your help.

-Ocelot

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">