• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

drivers license mess-kind of long

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nightangel

I need some advice about my situation. I will try to make it as brief as possible.

On Oct 4th i applied for a MN drivers license- currently i have an IL license prior to that I had CA.

Today i was told that i will not be able to get one from the state of MN until I pay a $115 traffic ticket for the state of NY.

I have never lived in NY. My SD license was lost years ago and i am still trying to clean things up from that time.
Apparently this ticket is from 1994 and today is the first time i am hearing of it.

Now MN tells me that i have to get a letter from the state of NY stating that either i paid this bill or that it is not mine.

NY tells me i have to write a letter explaining why i feel this is not my ticket and get it notorized and then the judge will look at it and they will go from there.

My question is this--
will this be worth the hassle of all of this red tape to try and get this removed? My husband is afraid that they will decide that regardless of all the letters we send NY will still make me pay and make me pay even more than the original total --

any help you can give would be appreciated

thank you
Nightangel of MN

J

Joseph Jacobs

Good question.

In the old days we said "pay the $2." as it was cheaper and quicker. I would tell you to do that if you are in BIG hurry, but then it will be on your record for insurace purposes, etc.

If you have the time, write a detailed letter, say you were not in New York, if you can prove where you were that day, do it, and maybe you'll win.

N

nightangel

thanks for that input

i think we may have a chance i called my old bank from IL and they have it on file that i reported my checkbook stolen in 1993

they also have on file that i only lived in IL and MN while i had that account which was during 1993 -1996 which covers the date of the violation in question
so i am going to send that to NY along with my
notorized letter-

they are going to send me a letter for proof of residency - think i may have a shot at this one

wish me luck *)

thanks again
nightangel

E

ED25T3

ANOTHER POSSIBLE WAY TO CLEAR THINGS UP IS TO ASK THE STATE OF NY OF THE VEHICLE LICENSE NUMBER AND ASK WHO THE VEHICLE IS OR WAS REGISTERED TO. IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHO THE PERSON IS IT MAY HELP YOUR CASE IN PROVING THAT WAS NOT YOU.IT IS REQUIRED TO BE RECORDED ON THE TICKET THE VEHICLE LICENSE NUMBER

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">