• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

out of state ticket-can I forget about it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

marky

I live in Texas. While on vacation in Florida I got a ticket for passing in a no-passing zone driving a rental car. I am wondering if anything would happen if I just didn't mail in the fine ($78.00). Is there any agreements between the 2 states in these matters? Could they get their money via my credit card from the rental car company? Would Texas come after me on Florida's behalf? What could happen on a return trip to Florida if I got stopped by police on a traffic stop? Tnanks for the advice!!

M

MJC

You are better off paying the ticket. This is why: Should you go on another interstate trip where they do have DMV record sharing, you could be arrested for not paying in Florida. You could ask Texas whether they share records and with what states, and they won't look you up if you just use the phone.

M

MJC

Just a reminder, if you call Florida and tell them you want to keep the points off your license, they may have an alternative plan for you. In California, they will mail you a test about driver safety and you mail it back. It depends on whether points or money is your main concern.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">