• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Old Iowa Speeding Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

annawiese

My husband got a speeding ticket in Iowa in 1997 when he was driving a big rig. He can't get his Indiana driver's license because his driving record isn't clear. Do we have to pay this $700 ticket or is there a way to get it off his record? Thanks for the help.

Curt581

annawiese said:
My husband got a speeding ticket in Iowa in 1997 when he was driving a big rig. He can't get his Indiana driver's license because his driving record isn't clear. Do we have to pay this $700 ticket or is there a way to get it off his record? Thanks for the help.
Why did he ignore it back in 1997?

annawiese

He didn't ignore it. The company he worked for paid it, but can't find any receipts from it now because it is so old.

Curt581

annawiese said:
He didn't ignore it. The company he worked for paid it, but can't find any receipts from it now because it is so old.
That doesn't sound right. Why would his company pay his speeding ticket?

I could see them paying an 'overweight' or improper permit citation, but not a speeder. I've never heard of that... and I've dealt with dozens of trucking companies. That's something the driver did wrong, not the company.

If they did, didn't they pay by company check?

If so, they should still have the canceled check, with the Clerk of Courts endorsement on it, in their files.

If they didn't pay it (which is likely, even if they said they did), he'll still be liable for it.

lwpat

You will have to pay the ticket. It is common for some companies to tell a driver they will pay and then not do so, especially if it is an overweight or equipment violation. The driver is the one responsible.

If you drive for a company you need a clear written policy on who pays for tickets under the above conditions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">