• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

2 speeding violations at the same time??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

faust

I have a lawyer to represent me, but he
as the many other lawyers I consulted
before choosing have NEVER seen this
situation before... The office, using
motion radar, caught me doing 54 in a
35mph zone and while pursuiting me I crossed
into a 55 mph zone where he used motion radar to clock me at 80. I did not see him behind me and it was not a situation of eluding
him. Again my lawyer hasn't seen this
before so I figured I ask for some "free"
advice ;) It seems a little odd that I
can get two violations for one act of speeding...Pardon my legal ignorance, but
would this not be a case of "double jeopardy?"...In case it matters, I live
in North Carolina...Other things of note,
which I have been told have no relavence are
that the officer did not sign the citation
nor did he ask me to sign it...Also, he
incorrectly marked a P.M. vs A.M. box...Plus
I had to have him correct the ticket when he
errantly marked me as doing 80 in the 35 zone
and not 55...

Anyway...if someone has insight, i'd be
thankful!

R

Roger Reich

They probably are separate offenses (assume first you shot A and then shot B) but the officer was a real prick for double ticketing. Your lawyer will use it as evidence of spite and the AM/PM thing will impact credibility of the cop, but hey, that's what lawyers do.

H

hillbilly#1

I also live in North carolina and I must say that from my experience with the law enforcement in this state and I have had my share , they make up their own laws and do as they as they DAMN well please.This is not a reply which I enjoy making they have avery dangerous job to do,but I am having my fair share of problems with them right now.Last year in april I was caught for DUI and I deserved the punishment,I lost my license for 1 yr.I was given restricted licenses well my 1yr. was up in june of 99 but because I am poor and cannot afford to pay to go to the driving school I have gotten 2 tickets for driving on revoked licenses. One I got while trying to locate family members because of an emergency the other after taking my daughter to school and I forgot to mention that after I got the DUI I volunterily checked myself into a rehab center and have not drank a DROP for 1 year and 5 months.Well I went to court on 11-8-99 it cost me $206.00 simply because I do not have someone who can drive me back and forth to my job and to pick my daughter up from school,her mothers job hours prevent her from driving me so the HONORABLE JUDGE said I better not be driving until I get my license back so I have been unable to get to work so I will probably get fired all because I am guilty of being poor.What ever happened to our Constitutional Rights for LIFE, LIBERTY AND THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS,well here in N.C.in our courts you have no rights I,ll let you know what happened in court for the 2nd driving on revoked licenses on 11-18 -99 if I am not in jail because I am not taking it anymore I am not guilty AND THE SOUTHS GONNA RATTLE AGAIN and dont you let them screw you either you may have been speeding but from the way you say he filled out the ticket the charges should be dropped sorry to say so much but I feel better.GOOD LUCK IN COURT and watch the speeding ha ha good luck.

F

faust

Just posting some other info, it looks like
this situation has been more convoluted...
Apparently, the County Clerk has two violations of 54/35 on the docket...It just
keeps getting more screwy... :) My laywer
seems to be comfortable w/ all of these
mistakes... His approach is to explain
it to the DA who will probably have little
option but drop one and lower the other...
Anyway, court date is first week in December
and I'll post the results. In case someone
else finds themselves in this situation...

Thanks for advice all...

M

MJC

The more screwed up the paperwork is on their end - the better for you. Good luck, your lawyer should do well on this one!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">