• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dissolving a step-parent adoptions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

qtandclumz

What is the name of your state? delaware
i have a question....i was wondering if it is possible to terminate a step parent adoption...my husband adopted his ex wife's daughter, and in almost a year has had no contact with either one of them. she took him to court for child support, and he is paying what the court says to pay. what i am wondering is by law does he have a leg to stand on by trying to dissolve the adoption?

qtandclumz

stealth2 said:
Why does he have no contact with the child?
well, every time he tries to call, his ex says she can not come to the phone, or something like that. he called on her birthday, and was allowed 1 minute to talk to her....funny thing is since she took him to court...she does not have time to even make arrangements for us to see her

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Does he have a visitation order? Without that, she's under no obligation to provide him with time.

LdiJ

stealth2 said:
Does he have a visitation order? Without that, she's under no obligation to provide him with time.
and legally he is the child's parent...its no different than if he was her biological parent.

nextwife

If his ex were interferring with access and visition with his BIOLOGICAL child, would you be asking how to sever his parental rights - or how to GET visitation?

LdiJ

nextwife said:
If his ex were interferring with access and visition with his BIOLOGICAL child, would you be asking how to sever his parental rights - or how to GET visitation?
I try not to make these kinds of comments.....but I suspect that the question would have been the same either way...sigh.

VeronicaGia

qtandclumz said:
What is the name of your state? delaware
i have a question....i was wondering if it is possible to terminate a step parent adoption...my husband adopted his ex wife's daughter, and in almost a year has had no contact with either one of them. she took him to court for child support, and he is paying what the court says to pay. what i am wondering is by law does he have a leg to stand on by trying to dissolve the adoption?
In a nutshell, no. This is his daughter. He needs to get court ordered visitation or enforce his court ordered visitation if he already has it. If he chooses not to, it does not negate his obligation to help support his child.

kandycane

dissolving adoption

My hubby started the process with his ex and did not go to court to finalize the procedure and was ordered to pay cs in divorce (he did not attend hearing was out of town working) now the cs office wants him to pay back support and the child uses her bio dad's last name. check with the county records office to be sure adoption was finalized with hubby in court with the judge present, and get hubby to request a copy of birth cert for child if his name is not on it he may not be her legal father

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">