• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fighting a "Failure to report an accident" citation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Chris

I was the victim of a hit & run on an Illinois state highway with a semi truck. I was on my way to work, one of my employers is an officer in the Cook County Sherrif's Dept., so I kept going, to get his advice. He said I didn't have to report it right away, but soon. After I filed a claim with the trucking company and informing my insurance company, I called the State police(a little over an hour after it happened). 3 hours after the accident I met with an officer and, after telling him my side of the story, was given a citation for failure to reporting an accident. What are my chances of successfully contesting it?

M

Moe from MO

In my state you'd be a winner! The officer must have had to make his quota. Good luck. There is no need to stay and wait after the other side ran away.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">