• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not enough money to pay ticket!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

daemon_krog

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I got a speeding ticket for 121.50 and a bunch of other things, no headlight, no turn signals, improperly mounted licence plate. I admit this was stupid on my part. But I did think i would be ok since it was light out, and i use my hands to signal anyway. But I was proved wrong.. It's illegal. Anyhow, my problem isn't with the tickets its with the fine. I dont have enough money to pay for it! And it's due tomorrow. I'm pleading not guilty so i can go to trial.. but now i dont have enough money to send in with the tickets (required). The total amount of fines adds up to $281.50 and all i have in the bank is $150.

It says on the back of these tickets that failure to pay could lead to a warrant for my arrest!! Why the hell can they arrest you for not having enough money!! I've been told that they'll set you up with a payment plan.. but who do i talk to?? This is so totally bogus! Help me please!!

Crazed98

I could be wrong but usually you don't have to pay the fine unless you admit your guilt or are proven guilty in court.

amadonna

Ticket Date

The ticket should just have a date by which you must respond. Your response can be either a payment (which is admission of guilt) or you can plead not guilty and schedule a court date. As long as you respond to your ticket by that date, you should be fine. Your best bet is just to call the courthouse to schedule your date.

They might make you post bond (which means you'll have to pay the fine, which will be returned to you if you are found not guilty). If you cannot afford to do that, I'm sure the court will be very willing to deal with you. When it comes to the fines, most courts will be willing to reduce the fine (if you take it to court) or set up payment plans (or possibly even a sliding scale fee in the case of financial distress).

Courts are pretty flexible with collecting money (they're just happy to actually get SOME of the money, let alone all of it). What's difficult is when you have points, it's very difficult to get them to flex on that.

daemon_krog

amadonna said:
They might make you post bond (which means you'll have to pay the fine, which will be returned to you if you are found not guilty). If you cannot afford to do that, I'm sure the court will be very willing to deal with you. When it comes to the fines, most courts will be willing to reduce the fine (if you take it to court) or set up payment plans (or possibly even a sliding scale fee in the case of financial distress).
This is correct, I took it to the magistrate today and talked to some people and I filed two tickets as not guilty and two as guilty to save me money. I asked if they could extend when i have to pay till monday or tuesday and now all i owe is 178.50 on monday and the rest is going to be on a payment plan. For the record the 178.50 is for the stuff i plead NOT GUILTY for. Thanks for all of your quick responses! :)

Crazed98

daemon_krog said:
This is correct, I took it to the magistrate today and talked to some people and I filed two tickets as not guilty and two as guilty to save me money. I asked if they could extend when i have to pay till monday or tuesday and now all i owe is 178.50 on monday and the rest is going to be on a payment plan. For the record the 178.50 is for the stuff i plead NOT GUILTY for. Thanks for all of your quick responses! :)

??????????

:confused:

So you are paying for a crime that you are saying you didn't do????

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">