• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Multiple cars speeding, who gets the ticket?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gullickson

About 2 1/2 weeks ago i was driving in the carpool lane in the middle of about 7 close driving vehicles. We all know that in the left lane you go with the flow or you hold up traffic. The posted speed limit was 45 and the group of cars were moving about 65mph. The 4 traffic lanes were very heavy that day and the police officer was clocking traffic from a long, elevated onramp way to the right. Needless to say, I was the only car pulled over for speeding. After getting the ticket I kindly asked the officer as to why he picked me instead of the other drivers. The officer told me "Because you can't lead." Again, I was in the middle of the group of cars. The officer then added to my fine for questioning him about the other cars. My questions are: 1. Are radar guns capable of accurately determining a cars speed through 4 lanes of heavy traffic and about 1/4 mile distance? 2. If Not, Can I be given a ticket if the officer "clocked" a different car and assumed we were all driving the same speed?

[This message has been edited by gullickson (edited December 23, 1999).]

C

Carl

Sounds like you might have a ticket worth fighting. The cop has no right to fine you for asking a question like you did. I find it interesting that he nailed you and not those behind you. Depending on the age, type and bandwidth of the radar gun, he might get a speed reading at 1/4 mile. Even the newer guns aren't accurate enough to be as selective as this case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">