• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

YOUR RIGHTS WITH A MARYLAND PUBLIC DEFENDER

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

patti

My son was accused of bank robbery. He is nineteen years old. He had to get a public defender as neither he nor i have the money for an attorney. The trial ended up yesterday in a hung jury. The attorney representing did a wonderful job and I was extremely grateful the case was in his hands. I assumed when a mistrial was declared that the attorney would continue the case. Yet he informed my son right after court that if my son wanted him to represent him again it would cost 4500.00! Of course we cannot afford that and i want to know why it's not his responsibility to continue defending my son until the outcome is decided. We are so afraid of another attorney not being as prepared or as knowledgeable as this one and my son losing his case because of that. Does my son have any rights about this? Can this attorney refuse to take his case or is this some kind of law? If anyone could help me I'd appreciate it so much!!! My son is 19 and i'm very afraid for him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">