• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

problem with a criminal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

ryanbiker

What is the name of your state? TX

Here's the short of it:
My ex wife is from Italy. She continued using my credit cards for 4 months after we were divorced, running up $6000 in debt. I cancelled the cards, but apparently the merchants in Italy accepted them because they had her name on them. I got divorced in June 2004. She used the cards until September 2004. Now the debt collectors are harrassing me. I told the debt collector what happened and he said she is a criminal and he is going to the DA and Interpol to file charges against her for fraud. But they keep harrassing me in the meantime demanding payment. What should i do - this is adversely affecting my credit.

R

ryanbiker

yep

Yeah, the account was in my name and I ordered the credit cards in her name so she could go shopping and stuff. I cancelled the cards cuz I am the account holder.

Shay-Pari'e

How many posts do you have going now? You hit her,..she left you,........she used cards with her name on them. Bravo!!! for that girl.!!!!

CdwJava

ryanbiker said:
Yeah, the account was in my name and I ordered the credit cards in her name so she could go shopping and stuff. I cancelled the cards cuz I am the account holder.
Here is the question that never seems to be answered: Did you cancel the account before or AFTER she used the cards?

If you cancelled the account AFTER she used them, then you're on the hook. If it was before she used them, then the merchants or the credit card companies are on the hook - not you. Let them go after her. If YOU are taking the hit, then you obviously did not cancel the account.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">