• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrong Speed Limit on Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

doublepush

What is the name of your state?I got a speeding ticket in Austin, TX. He claimed I was doing 76 in a 65 zone, which I don't contest. But on the ticket he wrote that I was doing 65 in a 55 zone. Now there is a 55 mph zone further down the road (less than a mile down), but I can prove that he caught me in the 65 zone.

How good is my case? The cop wasn't a jerk or anything; we were quite friendly with each other. But I'm worried that it might hurt a deferred ajudication from a year ago.

Thanks,
Brent

lwpat

In Texas I think the deferment or probation period is only ninety days so you should be OK. Check with the DMV to be certain. If you do another deferment or traffic school the only real difference will be the cost of the fine.

If you show up the officer will probably agree to reduce the ticket but the cost difference is not that much. You might want to get approval from the clerk for traffic school and avoid court.

doublepush

You're probably right in the deferment, but you can't do defensive driving if the new citation is less than a year after you took defensive driving before (about September 2004 for me).

If you show up the officer will probably agree to reduce the ticket but the cost difference is not that much. You might want to get approval from the clerk for traffic school and avoid court.
He said I was doing 65 in a 55 zone, but it's a 65 zone. Even if I was in fact doing 76, the citation was for 65. So if I can prove it was in a 65 zone, then it seems I can get this one knocked off. Under what conditions would the ticket get reduced but not dismissed? Would the court take his word that I was doing 76 even if he wrote down 65?

-Brent

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">