• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

termination of parental rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

elijawon

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? va

I have a 16 year old daughter by a man who now resides in ohio, my daughter was born in n.j. and the father has not provided for her in all this time, maybe a few dollars here and there or a birthday card here and there, but the emotional strain that it has left on my daughter has become unbearable and i would really like to sever all ties with him as per discussion with my daughter and terminate his parental rights, i would like to know how to i go about this and where do i file in the state that we now reside or the state in which she was born? can someone please help? he does not pay support and the amount that he owes i will never recoup from him anyway we just want out

VeronicaGia

elijawon said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? va

I have a 16 year old daughter by a man who now resides in ohio, my daughter was born in n.j. and the father has not provided for her in all this time, maybe a few dollars here and there or a birthday card here and there, but the emotional strain that it has left on my daughter has become unbearable and i would really like to sever all ties with him as per discussion with my daughter and terminate his parental rights, i would like to know how to i go about this and where do i file in the state that we now reside or the state in which she was born? can someone please help? he does not pay support and the amount that he owes i will never recoup from him anyway we just want out
Have you legally established paternity? Do you have a court order for child support? Do you have a court order for custody and/or visitation?

Grace_Adler

In VA you don't have to have an adoption in order to do a TPR.

I know in NC, if the father hasn't established paternity, you can do a TPR so you might want to check into that.

Go to VA's legislative website and look up termination of parental rights, then look up the grounds for them to see if you would be able to file. I'd do it but I'm getting ready to go to class.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">