• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alimony or settlement in Virginia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Marshad

What is the name of your state?I live in Virginia. Is there a "standard" or generic amount one might be easily be rewarded? My husband & I have no children and share no marital assets (ie property, etc). I am working full time and so is he. I am not asking for alimony or spousal support - just a flat financial compensation for granting the divorce he is requesting.

Thank you!

VeronicaGia

Marshad said:
What is the name of your state?I live in Virginia. Is there a "standard" or generic amount one might be easily be rewarded? My husband & I have no children and share no marital assets (ie property, etc). I am working full time and so is he. I am not asking for alimony or spousal support - just a flat financial compensation for granting the divorce he is requesting.

Thank you!
No, there's no such thing. You don't mention how long you've been married either. In any event, VA I believe is an equitable distribution state, meaning assets and debts will be distributed equitably (or somewhat) between both parties.

Marshad

Thanks...now more questions:)

I live in Chesapeake, VA. I was married a year Jan 17, 2005. I moved out may 13, 2005. If I am understanding VA law correctly, if my husband and I agree to a "no fault" divorce we can obtain a divorce after 6 months provided we are "legally separated" for 6 months. If we become "legally separated" in July 05 will it actually be Jan 06 before we can divorce? How does that then affect 06 income tax filing - can we file "single" in 06?

Thanks!

Marshad

I live in Chesapeake, VA. I was married a year Jan 17, 2005. I moved out may 13, 2005. If I am understanding VA law correctly, if my husband and I agree to a "no fault" divorce we can obtain a divorce after 6 months provided we are "legally separated" for 6 months. If we become "legally separated" in July 05 will it actually be Jan 06 before we can divorce? How does that then affect 06 income tax filing - can we file "single" in 06?

Thanks!

LdiJ

Marshad said:

Thanks!
As far as a "settlement" is concerned...you can basically expect nothing unless the marriage caused you significant financial loss for some reason or another. It was far too short for either of you to be entitled to more than you had going into the marriage.

As far as taxes are concerned...the tax regs apply. If you lived apart for more than the last 6 months of the tax year...regardless of status for divorce or separation purposes, then you can be considered as "single" for tax purposes.

Tayla

Marshad said:

Thank you!
Let me gather my thoughts here: basically you would like to CHARGE your soon to be ex for your kindness in *granting* him a divorce? OKay as eloquently as you stated that it still comes out as: "Im gonna make him pay if he expects a divorce"- I beleive its actually the *courts* who do the granting of dissolutions . Whether you want the divorce or not, he'll get it after the time expires in accordance with the law of state. Walk away with the dignity you had going into the marriage. You sound like a sensible lady.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">