• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Registered as owner of friend's car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Luha

I don't know the best way to get out of this.
One of my wife friends (Beth) was undergoing a hostile divorce and told my wife that her husband (Beth's, not me) was stalking her. To disguise her movements, Beth got rid of her old car and bought a new one but my wife registered it under her own name. We also insured it with Beth reimbursing us.
We did not realize Beth was wacko. The last time we heard from her, she was in jail for contempt of court (unwilling to pay her half of the settlement). All our recent attempts to contact her have been fruitless.
We are worried about our liability with Beth's car and want out of the situation. I have asked my wife to send Beth a registered letter to her last known address informing her that in one month (1) we will drop the insurance, (2) complete the back of the title stating that the car has been sold to Beth for $1 and send it in to the state DOT.
Is this a good plan or do I need legal help?
Thanks for the advice.

ALawyer

Get the car out of your names immediately.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">