• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I said/she said

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

Nicepants

This evening, I was approached, while in a store by a woman, who basically accused me of breaking off part of her passenger side mirror. She said that she saw her broken mirror, and that the driver's side handle to my car was broken, and just figured that I broke it when I opened my door. I told her I didn't do it (which is the truth). I then went out to where the "accident" happened. I opened my door, and found that it didn't even come CLOSE to her car. I told her this, and she told me that she backed her car out, and parked it again. I told her I had to go, and went back to work. When I got home, I had a call from the Police Department, an Officer gave us that woman's insurance info, and she wanted MY insurance information. Do I have any obligation to do this? And what CAN I do? She obviously is convinced that I caused the damage, but there is NO evidence on her behalf.
Do I need to get my insurance company involved? Should I call the store to see if security cameras in the parking lot can verify my story? What would you recommend?

M

msattorney

I think your last idea is the way to start. Call the store, speak to the amanager and find out if they have cameras in the parking lot. If they do, ask if you can review the tapes with them to see if there are any films of this supposed incident.

If this doesn't help, call your insurance agent and explain what you are being accused of. If there is no proof that you caused the mirror to be damaged, your insurance company will not pay--I'm sure this damage would be far below your deductible. And her insurance company will not pay either because it is no doubt less than her deductible.

N

Nicepants

I talked to the store. It is part of a shopping center. They said that they have no cameras in the parking lots. So now I'm at a loss for what to do. Can this woman do anything to me legally? As far as I know, I think that her only option would be small claims court. Is this correct?

M

msattorney

I think that is her only recourse. I would be surprised if she makes the effort over a car's mirror. If she does, then the judge (who is usually a practicing attorney) will listen to both sides and decide. Based on your facts, she has no proof.

J

JS

By no means are you obligated to provide this woman with your insurance information. As a police officer, it is my guess that the officer who contacted you asked you to swap insurance info with her so he/she could close the case with no further paperwork. The only recourse this woman has against you is to take you to small claims court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">