• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

failure to completely stop at a stop sign

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

js86

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NC
About a week ago I was pulled over and received a ticket for failing to stop at a stop sign. The ticket penalty says: (failing to stop at a duly erected stop sign (flashing red light) G.S. 20-158(b)(1),(b)(3)).

Anyway I am a 19 yr old college student this is my FIRST real offense. It was raining the day I got the ticket and my reaction time to the stop sign was a little slower than it should be (kind of causing my car to skid right on through the intersection anyway), but I WASN'T speeding. As I was making a 'rolling stop' I looked both ways and there were no cars coming at all. I was in my neighborhood at the time. I realize I am guilty for not completely stopping at the sign and on the ticket it says that I DO NOT have to appear in court. My costs are $25 for the penalty and $100 for court costs.

I don't have a problem paying for the fine but I am just worried about insurance rates. Is it worth me going to court to at least try to get the points taken off of my insurance? I was reading up on this and in NC you get one point added onto your insurance if you run a stop sign which can make my insurance rates go up 25%. :mad:

Also is prayer of Justice an option? I'm not really sure what it is but I've heard you can use it for a first time offence and only every three years afterward. I've heard it deducts the insurance costs if not wipes the insurance costs all together...Is that true? Are there any other options I can use other than the ones I've listed???? :confused:

And one last thing...my court date isn't until July 21st...Is my insurance rate going to go up between now and my court case or is it just going to go up after a verdict is made?

Thanks a lot for your help... :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">