• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

passing lane on freeway: ticket when not passing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tempname

I live in AZ, so I am most interested in AZ state law, but since I drive on freeways in other states, I'd like to hear what the laws are elsewhere too. Let's say I'm driving at the speed limit (say 55 mph) in the left lane on a multi-lane interstate highway. If I am the slowest car on the road (in other words, everyone else is speeding), can I be cited for illegally being in the passing lane if I'm not passing anyone? I see signs on lots of highways that say "slower traffic keep right", and I know that the left lane is supposed to be for passing, but since you're not supposed to be travelling faster than the speed limit anyway, I'm wondering if staying in the left lane is a ticketable offense. Thanks.

T

tempname

Yes, I have heard of it. But I still want to know if it is actually a ticketable offense. Actually, I never sit in the passing lane like that myself, but I was having this discussion with a co-worker, and I claim that you CAN get a ticket in this situation, but I had no evidence except for my gut feel. I was hoping someone can verify my suspicion.

rreyes

this is actually a ticketable offense. i just got a ticket for it yesterday in vermont. i dont think anyone would stop you just for that offense, but the cop was a real ******* and said i was going 70 in a 65. he said that the margin of error between my reading and his could mean that i might think im going 65 when im actually going 70. do you think cops should be able to ticket within the margin of error? anyway, unless you're really slowing down traffic in the left lane or you are committing another crime or you cross paths with *******s like the one i did yesterday, you should be fine. i normally stayed in the right lane unless i was passing but he said i was in the left lane for 4 miles. $140 ticket!!!

VeronicaLodge

I live in AZ, so I am most interested in AZ state law, but since I drive on freeways in other states, I'd like to hear what the laws are elsewhere too. Let's say I'm driving at the speed limit (say 55 mph) in the left lane on a multi-lane interstate highway. If I am the slowest car on the road (in other words, everyone else is speeding), can I be cited for illegally being in the passing lane if I'm not passing anyone? I see signs on lots of highways that say "slower traffic keep right", and I know that the left lane is supposed to be for passing, but since you're not supposed to be travelling faster than the speed limit anyway, I'm wondering if staying in the left lane is a ticketable offense. Thanks.
yes it is, it is a passing lane, not a driving lane. period.

eta: UGH THAT MAKES ME SO MAD!!!!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">