• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Out of state ticket in Tennessee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

a10t2

What is the name of your state? MO, ticket issued in TN

I was issued a speeding ticket in Anderson County, Tennessee this morning. When he gave me the ticket, the officer said that if I appear for my court date (which I might do just on principle) I will be given the option of taking a traffic class so that "it doesn't go on my Missouri license". Tennessee is a member of the NRVC but not the DLC, so it's my understanding that the violation won't put points on my MO license anyway. So, unless the traffic class will keep them from reporting the ticket to my insurance company, it would be a waste of time and money. So, aside from hoping for a plea bargain that would keep my insurance company out of it, do I have any options? What is my best course of action? TIA

Edit: I also just noticed that the officer misspelled my last name on the ticket.

Last edited:

Curt581

a10t2 said:
I was issued a speeding ticket in Anderson County, Tennessee this morning. When he gave me the ticket, the officer said that if I appear for my court date (which I might do just on principle) I will be given the option of taking a traffic class so that "it doesn't go on my Missouri license". Tennessee is a member of the NRVC but not the DLC, so it's my understanding that the violation won't put points on my MO license anyway. So, unless the traffic class will keep them from reporting the ticket to my insurance company, it would be a waste of time and money. So, aside from hoping for a plea bargain that would keep my insurance company out of it, do I have any options? What is my best course of action?
Do some checking with the MO DMV. Call and ask how out-of-state violations are reported.

Go to the court hearing. Most courts make offers to reduce. Taking any offer will still be better than just mailing in a check.
Edit: I also just noticed that the officer misspelled my last name on the ticket.
The ticket will go by your driver's license number. Unless your name is Wojohowitz, and the office wrote "Smith", a minor spelling error will not make much difference. It's certainly not grounds for outright dismissal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">