• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I Need Some Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dragonleg138

Hello,
I recieved a speeding ticket yesterday. I was charged with going 61mph in a 45mph zone. I know my speedometer is faulty. The speed it reads is lower than the car is actually going. Would it be a good idea to obtain several estimates from auto mechanics saying that my speedometer faulty. If I recall correctly, thats called faulty equipment. Should I have a lawyer go to court and have it dropped for me?
Also, I believe that I am considered a risk on my insurance and may be dropped if I lose in court. Would it be a good idea to call my insurance agent and find out if I am still a high risk driver? The reason that I do not know is that I moved out of my mother's house a few months ago. I told her that I would take over paying my insurance. I have gotten in wrecks in the past (no citations given) that have put me up to a high risk driver. I am not sure if that has been lowered as of yet. Would it be alright to call and see if I can handle the ticket on my insurance? If I get a lawyer, I am pretty sure I can beat the case. But I dont have enough money for a lawyer, so I would have to go on my own, and risk the chance of losing the case, and maybe my insurance. Also, If the faulty equipment plea fails, could I go for a "prayer for judgement"?

ALawyer

There is one critical issue -- did you exceed the speed limit? If so, you're guilty. Speeding does not require "intent" -- so if the speedometer was wrong, that's no defense, although a judge may cut you some slack, partiularly if you did not know it was wrong.

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">