• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Two in accident-both say Green Light

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

HUNSTER

My sister and her 6-month old child approached an intersection at approx. 3:45pm EST in Morris COunty, NJ. My sister had a green light, and the conditions of the road were dry and the sun was still out. As she proceeded to croos thru the intersection, she could see another car approaching, and not stopping. The other car hit my sister's car on the passenger side, in the right front end, spun her around into oncoming traffic, and totalled my sister's car. Thank God her and my niece were OK. This is a very busy intersection, but one my sister and I know well, since we grew up in the town and have travelled thru that area thousands of times! The police responded, and no one was issued a ticket. The woman who hit my sister said to one of the ambulance drivers "I thought I had a green light." Everyone went away in ambulances, and now my sister is terrified to drive...but get this, the other lady says now (exactly a week later) that she has a thirteen year old as a witness to testify that she did indeed have a green light! Reports and calls to the local police department confirm that the lights had been malfunctioning...but how do we prove it? No one was issued a ticket at the time of the incident, but now the police report is written to sound as if it WAS MY SISTER"S FAULT!!! She is devasted by this accusation, and has been trying to see if anyone else witnessed the accident. I realize NJ is a no-fault state, but this deal seems pretty bad for my poor sister. She was driving her Mother-In-laws car, and she has an excellent driving record. The mother-in-law has very good insurance, but you can imagine how horrible my sister feels! I KNOW she had a green light...is there any advice I can give her to ease her fears of being called "the guilty one?" This seems very unfair...what if both lights really were green? Is the town at fault?? How could we get information to prove the lights were malfuncitoning? My Mom was at the intersection the very next day, and she stopped for a red light, looked up, and there were not ANY lights on at all! She called this in to the police and they said "Oh yes, we have received many calls about the lights there!!" This makes me so angry! My beloved sister and my beautiful little niece could have died!!!! PLEASE HELP! Thank you!

------------------
Hunster

A

Attorney_Replogle

It is not clear what it is that you want. In other words, it is not clear whether your sister is being sued civily by the other driver or whether there are, or may be, criminal charges pending against your sister. Assuming that the only issue is a civil suit, then all your questions are the things that a personal injury attorney would handle for you. It is not required that your sister and niece be injured before hiring a persoanl injury attorney. Your sister should consult with one near her. She can find one at attorneypages

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">