• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Delivery driver killed my dog.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ThomasD

What is the name of your state? Florida

Last week our dog was hit by a delivery driver from a deli in the same shopping center as my business. This same driver has been waved down and asked to slow down multiple times by several other employees in my business before this incident. The parking lot is narrow and short maybe 100 yard, with mangroves and water on the edge of the parking lot. We use this area frequently for our business to rent kayaks and canoes so there is frequent pedestrians traffic. The dog does her business in these mangroves and that is where she was coming from when she was hit. We did not witness the actual hit but we heard the screeching brakes and the impact of being hit. The dog was not killed instantly but got up and ran in panic. In a terror the dog ran into the shop and to the front door, just as a customer walked into the door, the dog ran out the front door and in to the freeway where she was hit by two more cars and brutally run over in front of our eyes. The delivery driver that originally hit her showed no remorse and argued with my wife about the hitting her and just drove off. This was a pure breed Bull Terrier that has been in the shop greeting customers for the last 8 years and is never more that 20 feet from my wife or myself. It is difficult to even find these dogs and it will cost $1500-$1800 to get a new puppy (Not that we will ever be able to replace this dog) and $160 for the vet visit and cremation. Do we have a case to try to recover damages from this driver or the deli the driver works for? Or will we be out of luck because she was not on a lead.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

You have no case. Your dog did not belong unattended, and walking where vehicles drive. You're at fault and, in effect, you killed your own dog.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">