• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

getting taken for a ride...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

Erika831

My husband and I had just moved to Hawaii and scanned the used car lot on our Air Force base. We found a car that we wanted and met with the "seller". It bluebooked for $6,400.00. After we received and signed all the paperwork, my bank sent the check out. The "seller" refused to give me the title until he received his money, and I assumed that it was because he didn't know us. Well, needless to say, I know the real reason now. As soon as I handed over the check, he handed me the title and was gone. I went into the hotel and it wasn't until I got back to my room that I noticed across the title was stamped, Insurance Salvage Rebuild". I paid him $5,800.00 for that car. When my husband and I tried to trade the car in a few months later, all the dealer would give us was $1,100.00. They said that was all it was worth and tacked on $4,500.00 to the car we were trying to buy. My question is, can we do anything to the man who sold the car to us? And, is there anyway, to find out if the dealer turned around and cleared the title and made a huge profit?

[This message has been edited by Erika831 (edited February 18, 2000).]

A

Attorney_Replogle

You can sue the seller for fraud. He defrauded you since you intended to buy a useable vehicle, not a salvaged junk yard special. As for the dealer, I don't see that you can get that information you asked about.

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">