• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rights concerning police entering home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ethsmomm

What is the name of your state? ny
Long story short. Last evening a local police officer rang my doorbell and did not wait for me to come to the door, (outside downstairs door) came pounding up my stairs loudly,(I live in a 2 fam home upstairs) and then started pounding as hard as he could on my inside door without identifying himself. It was not until I yelled through the door for the 3rd time," who is it?", scared to death, i might add, that he said it was the police. This all had to do with my posting of garage sale signs in the area btween the "sidewalk and the street", in my neighborhood. There is more, but am I right in thinking that my civil rights have been violated? And if so, what can I do about it?

ethsmomm

Curt581

ethsmomm said:
What is the name of your state? ny
Long story short. Last evening a local police officer rang my doorbell and did not wait for me to come to the door, (outside downstairs door) came pounding up my stairs loudly,(I live in a 2 fam home upstairs) and then started pounding as hard as he could on my inside door without identifying himself. It was not until I yelled through the door for the 3rd time," who is it?", scared to death, i might add, that he said it was the police. This all had to do with my posting of garage sale signs in the area btween the "sidewalk and the street", in my neighborhood. There is more, but am I right in thinking that my civil rights have been violated? And if so, what can I do about it?
Post the "there is more".

How can we give an informed answer with only half the information?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Curt581 said:
Post the "there is more".

How can we give an informed answer with only half the information?

My response:

The "drugs" part of her story has NOTHING to do with her post, Curt. You should know that. :D

IAAL

Curt581

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

The "drugs" part of her story has NOTHING to do with her post, Curt. You should know that. :D

IAAL
I do... I was just trying to give her the benefit of the doubt.

Who knows... maybe the "grow lights" in the basement shorted out the neighborhood, and the cop saw smoke...?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Curt581 said:
I do... I was just trying to give her the benefit of the doubt.

Who knows... maybe the "grow lights" in the basement shorted out the neighborhood, and the cop saw smoke...?

My response:

I'm thinking it was the exigent circumstances created by the cloud and aroma of her Meth lab around her double-deck trailer.

IAAL

ethsmomm

There Is More...

To All Of You Who Automatically Assumed There Must Have Been Some Other Reason For The Cop's "over The Edge" And Abusive Behavior:
1. There Are Are Were No Drugs Or Illegal Activity Ever At My Home.
2. The "more" Part Had To Do With This Being The 2nd Time At My Home, This Time Accusing Me Of Putting Up More Signs And Throwing Them At Me, Scaring The **** Out Of Myself And My 3 Yr Old Son, Yelling At Me, And Calling Me A Liar, In Front Of My Son.
3. I Thought This Might Be A Ligitimate Forum, Apparently, I Was Wrong.
4. You Can All Go F*** Yourselves!!!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

ethsmomm said:
To All Of You Who Automatically Assumed There Must Have Been Some Other Reason For The Cop's "over The Edge" And Abusive Behavior:
2. The "more" Part Had To Do With This Being The 2nd Time At My Home, This Time Accusing Me Of Putting Up More Signs And Throwing Them At Me, Scaring The **** Out Of Myself And My 3 Yr Old Son, Yelling At Me, And Calling Me A Liar, In Front Of My Son.

My response:

Lady, you're simply a liar. Police don't bust into someone's home just because you were "posting of garage sale signs in the area btween the "sidewalk and the street".

You want to play games? Go ahead. You're the only one wasting their time.

IAAL

Curt581

ethsmomm said:
I made no such assumption. Nothing in your original post suggests the cop engaged in abusive or "over-the-edge" behavior.
How do we know what happened, if you don't tell us?
Again... this is goobledegook.

If you want a reasonable answer, provide the necessary background information. Post the incident in a narrative form that makes sense.
It is a legitimate forum. You are required to post a reasonable question with all pertinent information needed to give a reasonable response. If you post a ridiculous question, expect a ridiculous answer.
Now see.... that's what I'm talking about. :rolleyes:

I take it you won't be providing the information requested?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Curt581 said:
I take it you won't be providing the information requested?

My response:

Of course she won't, Curt. She knows we're "on to her", and can see through her lies and obfuscations. She actually believes that we'll believe that cops invaded her home because of signs!

And Mary wonders why I have no patience. This is a perfect example of why I don't.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">