• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding ticket-- officer didn't have lights on.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Meta M

What is the name of your state? Indiana

Hello,

Last year I got a ticket for speeding (85 in a 65) on our interstate roads. It was about 10:00 at night.

Here's the story. I was cruising down the road at about 70-75 mph, keeping up with traffic, when a car pulled up behind me going about 95 mph. I was in the left hand lane on the road and was approaching a semi on the right (maybe 40 yards away). Technically, I could have pulled behind the semi, slammed on my breaks long enough for the car to pass me, but I didn't. As it was pulling up behind me I quickly boosted my car in fear that he'd hit me. The car then pulls out onto the right lane and speeds past me.

When it pulled in front of me it suddenly seemed to stop, but their brake lights didn't light up. Next thing I see is a flashing light-- a police officer-- offering to chat with him on the side of the road.

I pulled over and he told me he had been in pursuit of a suspect, but because I had tried to run into him from behind he had given him up to get me. He said he took his foot off the accelerator and allowed me to pull behind him The only charge I have on my ticket is for speeding.

I'm wondering, are police officers required to turn their lights on, especially during a 95 mph acceleration? I found it incredibly disturbing that he could travel at those speeds at night without giving anyone a warning that he was coming.

Thanks.

Curt581

Meta M said:
Last year I got a ticket for speeding (85 in a 65) on our interstate roads. It was about 10:00 at night.

Here's the story. I was cruising down the road at about 70-75 mph, keeping up with traffic, when a car pulled up behind me going about 95 mph. I was in the left hand lane on the road and was approaching a semi on the right (maybe 40 yards away). Technically, I could have pulled behind the semi, slammed on my breaks long enough for the car to pass me, but I didn't. As it was pulling up behind me I quickly boosted my car in fear that he'd hit me. The car then pulls out onto the right lane and speeds past me.

When it pulled in front of me it suddenly seemed to stop, but their brake lights didn't light up. Next thing I see is a flashing light-- a police officer-- offering to chat with him on the side of the road.

I pulled over and he told me he had been in pursuit of a suspect, but because I had tried to run into him from behind he had given him up to get me. He said he took his foot off the accelerator and allowed me to pull behind him The only charge I have on my ticket is for speeding.

I'm wondering, are police officers required to turn their lights on, especially during a 95 mph acceleration? I found it incredibly disturbing that he could travel at those speeds at night without giving anyone a warning that he was coming.
Which "lights" are you refering to? His headlights, or his emergency lights?

As a general rule, police vehicles are allowed to speed in order to gather evidence of a speeding violation. In most circumstances, it's called Pacing. They don't have to use emergency lights until they're ready to stop the speeding car.

Your situation is yet another reason why people shouldn't 'cruise' in the left lane of a multi-lane highway. Leave the left lane for passing only. If you had, you'd have watched the cop pull over the other guy.

Meta M

Curt581 said:
Your situation is yet another reason why people shouldn't 'cruise' in the left lane of a multi-lane highway. Leave the left lane for passing only. If you had, you'd have watched the cop pull over the other guy.
I was in the left lane to pass a semi. And yes, it was his emergency lights.

Labtec600

No, they do not have to have their emergency lights on when they are moving.

Sometimes it's easier to leave them off because people dont panic as much as when they see flashing lights coming their way.

Meta M

Labtec600 said:
No, they do not have to have their emergency lights on when they are moving.

Sometimes it's easier to leave them off because people dont panic as much as when they see flashing lights coming their way.
Even at 25-30 mph above the speed limit? Seems a little risky for anyone..

Curt581

Labtec600 said:
Totally correct.

The vast majority of people's first reflex to seeing emergency lights coming up behind them is to immediately spike the brakes.

Talk about scary... :eek:

Meta M

Curt581 said:
Totally correct.

The vast majority of people's first reflex to seeing emergency lights coming up behind them is to immediately spike the brakes.

Talk about scary... :eek:
And when I see a pair of headlights coming at me at 95, I tend to speed up myself so I don't get rammed. That's scary. I'm sick of cops thinking they can travel at whatever speeds they want on the road. What if someone had pulled into his lane from the right lane? There has to be some warning that he intends to go fast. After all, ambulance and firetrucks are required to give everyone notice on the road.

Labtec600

"And when I see a pair of headlights coming at me at 95, I tend to speed up myself so I don't get rammed."

Really? I tend to MOVE OVER like MOST people do.

"I'm sick of cops thinking they can travel at whatever speeds they want on the road."

You're not going to catch many people when you do 70 MPH down the freeway behind the same car for 10 miles, are you?

"What if someone had pulled into his lane from the right lane?"
They would be at fault for changing lanes when it wasnt clear.

"There has to be some warning that he intends to go fast."

A car flying up on you is plenty of warning.

And also, if he had his lights on that would give plenty of warning to the guy he was chasing to exit the freeway and lose the officer.

Meta M

Labtec600 said:
Really? I tend to MOVE OVER like MOST people do.
Gee, you didn't read my first post, did you? I guess I could have ran myself into a semi-- wait what was I thinking?! I have no rights on the road and my life isn't worth spit to law enforcement. My wife sitting next to me isn't as important as the cop behind me who has more important matters to attend to!
Labtec600 said:
You're not going to catch many people when you do 70 MPH down the freeway behind the same car for 10 miles, are you?
There are speed limits for reasons. SAFETY. UNPREDICTABILITY. There are way too many things going on on the road, ESPECIALLY late at night when visibility is limited to the lights on the road. Sure, if they MUST speed in order to get someone, TURN ON YOUR LIGHTS. It's only fair to those of us who value our lives and our families lives.
Labtec600 said:
They would be at fault for changing lanes when it wasnt clear.
At a 20 mph speed, its EASY to make a mistake like that thinking they are farther back on the road.
Labtec600 said:
A car flying up on you is plenty of warning.
Sure, and my reaction was to speed up to protect myself.
Labtec600 said:
And also, if he had his lights on that would give plenty of warning to the guy he was chasing to exit the freeway and lose the officer.
So take a chance on killing/severly injuring someone on the road to get someone else. Beautiful. Human life goes down the toilet.

Curt581

Meta M said:
I'm sick of cops thinking they can travel at whatever speeds they want on the road.
Perhaps you're right. Maybe cops should be restricted to driving at the speed limit under all circumstances.

This would have the following consequences

1. No speeders (or any traffic violators for that matter) would ever be stopped.

2. No criminals fleeing the police would ever get caught.

3. Many people would die of injuries suffered in accidents because the police didn't get there quick enough.

4. Traffic would be passing police cars running lights and siren.

5. No crimes in progress would ever be interrupted. In the midst of getting raped? We'll be there as fast as the speed limit allows.

Sounds like a plan to me. :rolleyes:

What if someone had pulled into his lane from the right lane?
Happens all the time. Even with redlights and siren activated.
There has to be some warning that he intends to go fast. After all, ambulance and firetrucks are required to give everyone notice on the road.
I guess without actually seeing it, you have no way of knowing what you're talking about.

Driving an emergency vehicle under full lights and siren is a harrowing experience. Traffic almost always does the most inexplicable things.

Cars in the right lane on a three lane highway abruptly swerving all the way to the left lane when they see red and blue lights coming behind them... in the left lane. It's almost as if they're deliberately trying to block the squad.

Cars traveling in the left lane that slam their brakes to a complete stop, right in the middle of a freeway traffic lane.

Cars that zig-zag down the road as soon as they see lights in their rearview.

I've personally had three lanes of traffic come to a complete standstill, completely blocking me in, while enroute to a serious injury car accident. I can't count the number of times it's happened.

Labtec600

First off you really believe that the officer would have just slammed right into you if you didnt speed up? You dont think he would have braked?

And how fast was this semi going that you would have had to "slam on your brakes" when you were dong 70-75? 30 mph?

"There are speed limits for reasons. SAFETY. UNPREDICTABILITY. There are way too many things going on on the road, ESPECIALLY late at night when visibility is limited to the lights on the road. Sure, if they MUST speed in order to get someone, TURN ON YOUR LIGHTS. It's only fair to those of us who value our lives and our families lives."

Read Curts post.

Meta M

Curt581 said:
Perhaps you're right. Maybe cops should be restricted to driving at the speed limit under all circumstances.

This would have the following consequences

1. No speeders (or any traffic violators for that matter) would ever be stopped.

2. No criminals fleeing the police would ever get caught.

3. Many people would die of injuries suffered in accidents because the police didn't get there quick enough.

4. Traffic would be passing police cars running lights and siren.

5. No crimes in progress would ever be interrupted. In the midst of getting raped? We'll be there as fast as the speed limit allows.

Sounds like a plan to me. :rolleyes:
Gee, you like to be selective on my words, don't you?

ME said:
And when I see a pair of headlights coming at me at 95, I tend to speed up myself so I don't get rammed. That's scary. I'm sick of cops thinking they can travel at whatever speeds they want on the road. What if someone had pulled into his lane from the right lane? There has to be some warning that he intends to go fast. After all, ambulance and firetrucks are required to give everyone notice on the road.
I understand that they must be speedy sometimes. But he needs to obey the laws on the road unless he decides to give us all fair warning that he intends to speed. After all, that's what he's suppose to protect us from.
Curt581 said:
Happens all the time. Even with redlights and siren activated.
And how much LESS does it happen with it on?
Curt581 said:
I guess without actually seeing it, you have no way of knowing what you're talking about.

Driving an emergency vehicle under full lights and siren is a harrowing experience. Traffic almost always does the most inexplicable things.

Cars in the right lane on a three lane highway abruptly swerving all the way to the left lane when they see red and blue lights coming behind them... in the left lane. It's almost as if they're deliberately trying to block the squad.

Cars traveling in the left lane that slam their brakes to a complete stop, right in the middle of a freeway traffic lane.

Cars that zig-zag down the road as soon as they see lights in their rearview.

I've personally had three lanes of traffic come to a complete standstill, completely blocking me in, while enroute to a serious injury car accident. I can't count the number of times it's happened.
Then educate better. Teach students a better way to drive and police officers a better way of dealing with people on the road. Speed limits are enforced to protect us from terrain, instances where our driving can be impaired (such as night), and gives everyone an understanding of what's required from all drivers on the road. Police lights would give the exception.

Meta M

Labtec600 said:
First off you really believe that the officer would have just slammed right into you if you didnt speed up? You dont think he would have braked?
It was NIGHT. I had no idea who was behind me. Had he had his lights on, I would have known I would be safe.
Labtec600 said:
And how fast was this semi going that you would have had to "slam on your brakes" when you were dong 70-75? 30 mph?
In our state they are required to drive at 60 mph on the highway.
Labtec600 said:
Read Curts post.
Read mine.

Meta M

tazerman said:
My 1st impression is he knows how fast hes going and in the rear view mirror theres a vehicle coming upon him at 95 mph................end of it
Eh? I know how fast I was going and sped up to keep pace with a car that could have potentially hit me.

Curt581

Meta M said:
Gee, you like to be selective on my words, don't you?
Well.. you're talking about absolutes. You're complaining that something bad happened to you, that scared you... because you didn't understand it. Well, your understanding is neither expected, nor required. The police have to "do what they have to do" sometimes. Sometimes, people get offended. Feces occurs. Proposing that a blanket restriction be placed on them solves nothing, and often creates more problems.
I understand that they must be speedy sometimes. But he needs to obey the laws on the road unless he decides to give us all fair warning that he intends to speed. After all, that's what he's suppose to protect us from.
The officer needs to tailor his response to the circumstances at hand. Sometimes, redlights and siren are best, other times, it's not. I'd rather trust the judgement of the officer at the scene, than have a redundant restriction placed on him
And how much LESS does it happen with it on?
Trust me... faaaarrrr more often than not. Without lights and siren doesn't startle people from a distance. They literally don't have time to freak out and panic. The squad is past and gone before they can react. Redlights and siren has it's place, but on an open highway with a light volume, traffic tends to freak out.
Then educate better. Teach students a better way to drive and police officers a better way of dealing with people on the road.
We do educate. Moving to the right on the approach of an emergency vehicle is basic Driver's Ed. But the majority of people simply don't do it. They brake, they swerve the wrong way, they cut in front of the squad, they speed up, they do all sorts of stupid manuevers.
Speed limits are enforced to protect us from terrain, instances where our driving can be impaired (such as night), and gives everyone an understanding of what's required from all drivers on the road. Police lights would give the exception.
But there ARE times when anouncing one's approach from a distance is counter-productive.

It results in people pulling over where it's unsafe. Waiting to turn the lights on allows an officer to pick the area he wants the driver to stop.

Sometimes, it results in people getting between us and the driver we're actually after... as happened in your case.

It also allows criminals and other violators enough warning to flee. Ninja-type bikes are an excellent example. I don't want that rider to know I'm after him until I'm right on his tailpipe. I want his license plate number before I hit the lights. Why? There's no way I'm catching him if he takes off. And most times, the rider will know he's been had, and won't flee for that very reason.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">