• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overpayment Of Food Stamp Benefits/really Scared!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ann23

What is the name of your state? KY

This is really worrying me, any help is appreciated. My Mother passed away Xmas Eve 2000, I filed for bankruptcy in June of 2001 (most of her meds were on my credit card, it was an impossible situation). I moved home to care for my Dad in our old home in Sept. '01, I was working and able to help him financially, emotionally, etc. In Feb. '02 I lost my job and we had a terrible time with bills. His SS monthly was $1023, our house mortgage was $1101 this does not count the other bills (groceries, lights, phone). I filed for assistance for groceries (no other assistance, just food stamps) in Feb. '02. We received these benefits on and off until Nov. '04. As I began working again I called and informed them, and of course the monthly allotment changed depending on the income. I always let them know. During my every six month appointments they often said they could not locate my Dad in the system - which is crazy because he's been in the system for over 15 years! Plus, if they could not find him, we would never have received benefits at all. Fast forward to last week. I receive a letter (non-threatening, very nice) stating that our household was overpaid benefits due to "unearned income". Attached was a copy - very faded, like a copy of a copy... and it was a bank statement for my Dad however the amount listed was $206 (which is his pension amount) his monthly SS amount ($1023) was not on there at all. I know that I submitted the correct forms, and somehow it seems to me they have recorded the pension ($206) as Social Security - their clerical error, but if this is the case then yes, we were overpaid because they were working from the wrong figure. My meeting with a caseworker is Mon. 6/13, I am working now - steady - and things are finally falling into place for my Father and I. He is 79 years old, we each have no other family and he depends on me to get by. If they try and say that I submitted the wrong forms they are incorrect, but what do I do? If I have to repay their mistake, as I might, I am not a combative personality and if they agree to a payment plan I will do that. The figure I am guessing they overpaid us in food stamps is roughly $4800. Will they try and press charges against me if they think I did not give them the proper info? I did everything I thought was right and I am afraid that they might not think repayment is enough. My imagination is running wild and I am scared that they will do something crazy like try and put me in jail. I know there are plenty of innocents in jail. I am all my Father has, he would not make it without me, and I surely would not make it without him. A few friends I have talked to have told me that they will want the money back regardless of whose mistake it is and it would not be "profitable" for them to try to press charges especially when my Father is on a fixed income, and I am working and can definitely arrange a payment plan. Help! I am so worried, this has kept me up all week, and physically ill. Thanks so much.

zippysgoddess

I am not entirely sure of Kentucky and how they work things there, but in most states you cannot be held responsible for a Foodstamp overpayment, and also, if they do hold you responsible, they will take your current income and set up a payment plan so you pay a set amount each month until it is paid off.

My Sis got in trouble for welfare fraud and all they did to her was take away so much from her cash benefits each month until the amount was paid back. They are really lenient and understanding about such things as long as you are honest, explain your problem and talk to them about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">