• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

accident on private property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

winona

i was in a parking lot at a grocery store and i looked behind me to see if i could back up and no one was there i continued to back up and then all of a sudden this lady is screaming i hit her. i did not feel i was at fault nor was there but a little dent to her vehicle no damage to mine. she says for me to pull over and she wanted to exchange information 2 hours previous to this i had just left a hospital room where my mother had just passed away. i did not feel i had done anything wrong so i gave her some bogus information. she in turn called the police department and then 2 months later i receive this letter in the mail from the district attorney's office saying a complaint had been filed and charging me with a violation of false birth certificate and hit- run driving. i have been in contact with this lady and told her i would pay her for the damage to her vehicle just to appease her and i asked her about the charges and she said that she would tell the police dep't that i'am going to take care of the damage to her vehicle. her husband said the damage was so minumal that it did not cost him anything but he would try to find out from the insurance company how much it cost them and send me a bill. i have not given these people my address yet they just have my phone number. can anyone out there please help me and tell me what to do. very appreciative of any help please e. mail me at [email protected] thanks.

B

Barbara B

I'd pay the bill and ask her to drop charges. What you did was stupid and illegal.

But given the death of a parent a few hours earlier there would be a natural tendency to let it slip by. If you don't have a record, I am sure the police would drop the matter if asked to do so.

One approach: sincerely apologize to the people, explain that your parent just died and you couldn't take any more grief at that time, you are sorry, you are embarrassed and you'll pay what it costs to fix.

If the charges are not dropped, get a lawyer to help from attorneypages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">