• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parental Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Joanne Pezzullo

What is the name of your state? Michigan

In July of 2001 my sister voluntarily gave custody of her two youngest daughters to me and my husband. Protective Services were involved and they told her if she didn't sign volutarily they would investigate her for several complaints that had been filed and they would go into foster care.

She kept the daughter who was 14 at the time, hoping to get her life together, this was supposed to be a temporary thing. In December of that year she threw out her 14 year old and eventually her parental rights were severed.

But because the two youngest were not in the home and were in my custody they never became part of the case. It has now been over 4 years and all I receive from the State [FIA] is 266.00 a month for both girls. I don't want to give them up but it is becoming a financial burden. Is there a way I can file to have her rights severed [she lives in a homeless shelter and can't take care of herself] and maybe get a little more money from Foster KinCare or adopt the two girls?

I don't want to see them go to foster care but there is no one in the family that can or will take them. We are almost 60 and my husband is getting ready to retire but are really pinched trying to raise an 11 and 12 year old.

Thanks,
Joanne

LdiJ

Joanne Pezzullo said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

In July of 2001 my sister voluntarily gave custody of her two youngest daughters to me and my husband. Protective Services were involved and they told her if she didn't sign volutarily they would investigate her for several complaints that had been filed and they would go into foster care.

She kept the daughter who was 14 at the time, hoping to get her life together, this was supposed to be a temporary thing. In December of that year she threw out her 14 year old and eventually her parental rights were severed.

But because the two youngest were not in the home and were in my custody they never became part of the case. It has now been over 4 years and all I receive from the State [FIA] is 266.00 a month for both girls. I don't want to give them up but it is becoming a financial burden. Is there a way I can file to have her rights severed [she lives in a homeless shelter and can't take care of herself] and maybe get a little more money from Foster KinCare or adopt the two girls?

I don't want to see them go to foster care but there is no one in the family that can or will take them. We are almost 60 and my husband is getting ready to retire but are really pinched trying to raise an 11 and 12 year old.

Thanks,
Joanne
I can't see that terminating her parental rights will give you any more financial assistance than you are recieving now.

Joanne Pezzullo

The Father

The father of these two girls is in the area but is not interested in any contact. I tracked down his sister and she set up a meeting so they have seen their dad once, Christmas of 2003. He gave them his phone number which was a non working number.

MAZTECINC

I don't know the laws in your state particulary, however I was ina similar situation with my younger brother. I had guardianship only over him since he was 10, he's now 19. I was only getting 299.00 per month through our welfare system for him and it got very difficult when I was on my own. I called foster care in our county and was advised we coud keep him in our home under foster care and receive almost triple the money, however..... We would have to make him a ward of the state in order to do so. So, in getting more money we actually released rights, they had very strong rules also, such as special curfews and restrictions, they could come to our home any time unannounced for "inspections" and check school records... And the other thing is that they are able to remove the children from your home at any time. With your age, it may be risky... I know my grandmother was 65 and they would not let her keep my brother, which is why I stepped in, both my parents were drug addicts and alcoholics. I wish you the best of luck! Let us know how it goes...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">