• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am i liable?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

happenstance

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New York (NYC)

I am a renter without renter's insurance (NEVER AGAIN!) Last night the hose connecting my dishwasher to the hot water supply disconnected. I was home at the time, but by the time I heard it, the water had already begun flowing into the living room. By the time I was able to turn off the knob, there was a significant amount of water flooding the kitchen and living room. The doorman brought a mop and wet-vac, and we cleaned up as quickly as we could, however, water flooded into the apartments below (i'm on the 5th floor, and it reached all the way to the 1st floor). I have not suffered any property damage, but I am worried about whether I am liable for damage to neighbors or the building? I fixed the problem as soon as I was physically able to, and cleaned up as quickly as I could.

Thank you for your advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">