• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ran stop sign, worried about insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

emilym

After a really bad day, I came to a rolling stop at a three way intersection in my neighborhood. I didn't expect the cop that was up the street! He of course gave me a ticket for running the stop sign (I think he was new, he had another officer with him and his hands were shaking as he was writing!)

I was planning on just paying the bill, until a friend said she got 4 points on her insurance (I'm in North Carolina) for running a red light. Now I'm assuming that a stop sign is less minor... she mentioned a going to court and requesting a prayer for judgement or something of the sort. I have been driving for 14 years no with no other ticket of any type, not even speeding (lucky I guess!) Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Emily

ALawyer

Sure. The first offense won't ruin your record. The state DMV can tell you the number of points you'd get. And in some states there is the possibility of getting the points avoided or removed if you take a safe driver course. I don't know NC law however.

But you really usually have 2 choices. Plead guilty and pay the fine, or plead not guilty, ask for a trial, and hope the cop does not show up and the judge dismisses the case or the cop does not remember or fails to prove the case (but if you lose, be aware that some judges tend to increase the penalty -- for wating the court's time and/or just to show you -- unofficially, of course....)

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">