• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

thru stop sign in NY, NJ resident, should I go to court?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zulla33

New York State

I was up in Ithaca, NY over the weekend and rolled through a four-way stop sign (with flashing red lights) and made a right turn. It was early in the morning, there was no other traffic, and normally I would have completely stopped, but for some reason, I just didn't.

And, as I made the turn, on the right was a Cornell policeman, who was hidden from view as I approached the light. I knew immediately that he would pull me over, tried to reason with him, but he issued me a NY State uniform traffic ticket for a violation of NYZ V&T Law Sec. 1172 Sub. A.

I have a pretty spotless driving record (29 yrs old, one ticket for speeding back in 1997), but I've heard that if you go to court, sometimes the officer doesn't show up and you can get out of the ticket, or get the penalty reduced. Since I'm from out of state, there's a chance that the officer will assume that I won't show up, but I have no idea how to argue my way out of the ticket.

An out-of-state moving violation is 2 points in NJ, which I don't think will affect my insurance, but I'd rather not have a moving violation on my record.

I basically just wasn't paying attention and got caught. Do I have any chance if I go to court? Could I get the violation reduced to something without points.

Please help.

Thanks,
Mike

Curt581

zulla33 said:
I have a pretty spotless driving record (29 yrs old, one ticket for speeding back in 1997), but I've heard that if you go to court, sometimes the officer doesn't show up and you can get out of the ticket, or get the penalty reduced.
You're thinking of the officer not showing up for Trial.

Generally, officers never show up for the Initial Appearance. They aren't required to. That appearance is merely to take a plea, and schedule the trial. Most places make offers to reduce at that time, to try and clear cases off the trial court's calendar.
I basically just wasn't paying attention and got caught. Do I have any chance if I go to court?
Refreshing to see someone accepting responsibility for a change.

Sure, you have a chance. I always recommend attending the initial appearance. Taking even the smallest offer to reduce is better than simply mailing in a check. Do that, and you stipulate to the entire penalty.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">