• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stepparent Adoption in Louisiana

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

My6Angels

What is the name of your state?I live in Louisiana. My husband and I have been together for 4 years. My daughter was 9 months at the time. Her BF hasnt been in her life since Christmas of 2002. That was the last time we saw him or heard from him. My husband wants to adopt her. She think he is her father anyway. She always has. Her BF was just some guy that would come to see her every now and then. Anyway, my question is, how do I get the ball rolling if I don't have a lawyer. Does anyone know the first step in doin this? HELP PLEASE!

haiku

Adoption is something that should not be attempted without at least consulting a lawyer first, as some states are more complicated than others when it comes to the process, and if you screw up, it can mean a voided adoption.

I strongly reccomend your first step is finding a family lawyer to discuss your plans with.

nextwife

Also, it is important to always be truthful with our adopted children about how we became a family. I am on weblists with many adult adoptees, and those whose parents "waited" to share the fact that the parent(s) were not biologically related were very resentful about being lied to. DO not mislead your daughter, regardless of step adoption, into believing your husband is her biological dad. My child has known since before she could talk.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">