• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Radar while cop moving

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cautious One

What is the name of your state? California

I was traveling West Bound and peace officer was traveling East bound on highway. I was traveling at 77 on posted 75. Police turned around and said he got me going 84. I told him there must be mistake because I was going well under 80. He asked me to get out of vehicle and showed me that it read 84 on his device. There were other cars along side me at the time he clocked me, but they were going at the same pace I was. I live in California but was cited in Texas. I don't want to plead inocent, drive to Texas and only to find out that the judge will side with radar. Do I have a chance if I plead inocent.

P.S.
I thought that the police officer was not supposed to be in motion when using the radar. I told the police that he may have added mileage to my speed because he was in motion. He stated that the State of Texas regularly calibrates and inspects the radars.

CdwJava

Many vehicle-mounted radars (at least the ones most commonly used) have dual modes - they can operate in moving or stationary modes at the flip of a switch.

It's up to you how you want to handle it, but I suspect that the court will side with the officer. You might be able to win if you make a fight of it, but you'd have to head to TX. There might be a way to conduct the "trial" by written declaration, but you'd have to call the court to find out.

- Carl

Cautious One

CdwJava said:
Many vehicle-mounted radars (at least the ones most commonly used) have dual modes - they can operate in moving or stationary modes at the flip of a switch.

It's up to you how you want to handle it, but I suspect that the court will side with the officer. You might be able to win if you make a fight of it, but you'd have to head to TX. There might be a way to conduct the "trial" by written declaration, but you'd have to call the court to find out.

- Carl
I feel the judge will take the officers side because he represents the law, but I feel that is unfair. I guess I'll have to eat it because I don't have time to or money to spare.

side note*
are you very objective in your responses; you being a police sargeant and all?

You Are Guilty

CdwJava said:

- Carl
The only way to win would be to show the officer improperly used the radar (i.e. left it in 'stationary mode') when he clocked you. Your chances, particularly as a non-resident, non-lawyer, are about as good as Mike Tyson ever winning another boxing match in his life.

CdwJava

Cautious One said:
are you very objective in your responses; you being a police sargeant and all?
Probably a little more objective than people who feel that they have been wronged. I like to think that I am objective, though my experience leaves me a tad cynical at times.

Objectivity is all in the perception.

- Carl

lwpat

Texas speeding ticket, California license

I am surprised that the officer let you go without paying the ticket. California is not a member of the compact that calls for one state to suspend your license if you do not pay a ticket in another state.

My understanding is that CA will do nothing if you fail to pay the ticket. However if you are ever stopped in Texas you will get a free ride to the pokey. Also Texas now uses a collection agency so they will hound you and put it on your credit report.

If you are near go in and talk to the judge. The fines in Texas are not nearly as high as CA and this will not hurt your insurance much. He might reduce it to something that is not reportable.

Cautious One said:
What is the name of your state? California

I was traveling West Bound and peace officer was traveling East bound on highway. I was traveling at 77 on posted 75. Police turned around and said he got me going 84. I told him there must be mistake because I was going well under 80. ..... I live in California but was cited in Texas. I don't want to plead inocent, drive to Texas and only to find out that the judge will side with radar. Do I have a chance if I plead inocent.
As a Texan, I am not aware of any place in the state with speed limit above 70. Where was this? Thing is, you don't really have to return to Texas, but can hire a local lawyer to appear for you. That frequently will do some good, but you can never count on it as a sure thing. Still boils down to a cop's word being gold...if he is present in court and sticks to his story.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">