• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it trespassing or right of way?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Joan

Don't know if I have the right catagory for my question.
I have an unusual question. I ride my horse along a rural state road in Pennsylvania. There is a farmer that owns property on both sides of the road. Because the road is narrow and has alot of traffic, I ride about 8' to the side of the road. The farmer told me to get out of his field and that I was trespassing. I told him that this was a right of way and I was using it. Who is right?

J

jess

The farmer doesn't own the side of the road. the state and/or county does, and as long as you don't cross over to far you'll be fine. Just be polite in pointing this out to him.

J

Joan

What is "too far"? He plants crops to within 5 or less feet of the road. This guy is just plain nasty. Anyone who knows of him doesn't think he's a very nice person. Do you or does anyone know how much road width the state owns?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jess:
The farmer doesn't own the side of the road. the state and/or county does, and as long as you don't cross over to far you'll be fine. Just be polite in pointing this out to him.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joan:
What is "too far"? He plants crops to within 5 or less feet of the road. This guy is just plain nasty. Anyone who knows of him doesn't think he's a very nice person. Do you or does anyone know how much road width the state owns?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Check with your State's Department of Transportation - Roadworks Division for an answer. Also, if the farmer's land isn't fenced, and this has been going on for a very long period of time (e.g. 5 or more years), an easement may have been created.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

T

Tracey

You can also check the plat maps and see if the road easement width is described there. Take your long tape measure out and see how far the easement goes. Try to stay inside the easement area when crossing the farmer's land. Politely show the farmer where the easement edge is. You have a right to ride your horse in the road easement area. You might also check to see if Penn has special laws regarding horses on roads. Given the Amish population, it might. Your local riding club/sheriff's posse is a good starting point.

Stay out of the farmer's crops unless he has clearly planted inside the easement. In WA, causing damages to crops subjects you to triple damages + attorney fees.

The _horse_ leaping sideways beyond the easement when the gravel truck goes by is not a voluntary act and won't subject you to criminal trespass. (Mine hates gravel trucks. And we have big ditches out here. Gulp.)

If the farmer is still unreasonable and starts threatening you or booby-trapping the edges with glass bottles, get a restraining order.

-------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client.

[This message has been edited by Tracey (edited March 30, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">