• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Golf car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

henniet

My 15 year old daughter were caught driving the golf car on her way to a friend to do a school homework project while we, parents, were at work. The cop than called home and find my 17yr old daughter on the phone. He got her to walk over to where the golfcar were and asked her if she knew that her sister were driving the golf car. She did not veel to lie and replied yes. The two sisters do not get along at all and the younger one would not have asked for the older one's permission or asked her to drive her somewhere. My question is: 1)Was it correct for the cop to write the older sister a sitation while she did nothing wrong and is stil a minor herself? She need to be in adult court by 12 April.
2)Can she pay a fine and not go to court?
3)What is likely to happen to the younger daugter? Is there something we can do to help her case?
Thanks

ALawyer

I'm confused. Why was the older sister ticketed? Because she knew (that's not illegal) or because she gave permission (that may be)?

What is the ticket for? What is the fine? What would be the impact on her "record" and your and her insurance?

------------------
This is intended as general information only and NOT LEGAL ADVICE. You are not my client, and I have no obligation of any kind to you. To retain a lawyer, go to http://AttorneyPages.com

H

henniet

The citation is for allowing another to operate under age. There was no permission given or asked for, and even if she were asked how were she to stop the sister from going ahead and drive anyway. The younger sister by the way is taller than the younger one and should they got into a fight I think the older might have lost.

She do not have a licence yet. She only operate the golfcar. We came one year ago from South Africa to the USA and are finding things out mostly the hard way.

T

Tracey

Go to court and explain what happened to the judge and that you don't think the 17 year old gave permission or could have stopped the 15 year old. Ask the judge very politely to dismiss the ticket.

Also, check the law under which the ticket was issued. (It should be on the ticket.) If the law says a 15 year old can't drive a "motor vehicle", see if an electric golf cart can be considered a motor vehicle.

Good luck. : )

--------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client.

H

henniet

Thanks Tracey. How will we find out about what the law say, in this case local ordinance : 78 - 93(I am not sure about the figure 9). We are in Peachtree City in Fayette county, GA. Apparently 17 year olds is regarded as adults in GA we were told by a officer at school.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">