• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

disregarding a barracade

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

smeyer

On feb 20, 2000, a sunday, I was preceeding to work. Sunday was a normal day from 8am-5pm for me as a credit card telemarketer at bank one located at 10900 stonelake blvd in Austin texas. That day there was a marathon also being run in the same general vicinity. As I approached the Breaker exit, which lead to my bank I saw it was barracaded, so I went a mile down the highway to the next exit got off and proceeded to find every road that would allow me access to my job site blocked off. With my job on the line (The bank fires you if you are late) I went all the way back to the breaker exit, saw no runners anywhere and slowly proceeded by the barracade to my bank. A cop stopped my about 100 yards from the bank or less and ticketed me for disregarding the baracade. I told the officer that the previous year, bank one personal had permission to go beyond the baracade so that they could get to work, He said no one told him about it and gave me the ticket. I got to work and talked with a manager who was also stopped evidently, but not ticketed. She caled the bank President and the barracades were taken down. My question is, is it not illegal for the police to stop a man from earning his daily wage? From blocking every entrance to a business? I need to know what ammunition I have legally, if any, prior to my court date on June 5th. If there is nothing to be done, would I be wiser to have a jury trial or a trial by judge? Traffic school is out of the question as an alternative.

------------------

[This message has been edited by smeyer (edited March 31, 2000).]

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate currently awaiting Bar results.

Although I am pretty sure there is no consitutional right to employment or earn a living (although you have a right to liberty or property), you may want to get affadavits from other personnel and a previous memo or official statement saying the bank personnel employees are allowed to go through the barracade. that barracade is there for safety purposes. Unless you can prove you had permission, there really isn't anything you can do.
try talking to someone about this through attorneypages.com, someone dealing with traffic law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">