• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pulled over for 79 in 55 zone (2nd ticket)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shamio

STATE: PA
I was pulled over on I-78 near Hamburg PA for over speeding. There was no cop on the road by the time I was over speeding. I think they detected me with the radar pole system ( I don't know the exact name of the system) when you pass the 1st pole they start the count and when you hit the 2nd pole they will clock your speed. BUT, there was no trooper, I don't know that they have cameras installed ( I really doubt it). or maybe it was ariel radar detector through helicopter. I've gone 2 more miles and there U go, a trooper is sitting with lights on. I dropped my speed really fast and dropped down to 60. Tropper start chasing me on this speed and never lit up his lights. After going a mile or more he pulled me over and gave me a ticket of $164 for over speeding 79 in a 55 zone.
I've already 3 points on my record from a speeding ticket in Nov. 2004. What chances are here for getting less and no point IF I plead NOT Guilty and defend my case? What options do I've and how many chances are out there for me? I asked a local layer who practices very close to that District Court, he is over charging me ($350) and still can't guarantee for completly taking off all points and the charges? Please advice. Thanks
:(

Curt581

shamio said:
I dropped my speed really fast and dropped down to 60. Tropper start chasing me on this speed and never lit up his lights.
If you had to "drop your speed really fast...down to 60" (still over 55), then you probably got clocked on his radar before you got a chance to slow. He saw you before you saw him.
After going a mile or more he pulled me over and gave me a ticket of $164 for over speeding 79 in a 55 zone.
He doesn't have to stop you immediately. He'd already got you. He can wait until he's DGR. (darn good and ready)
What chances are here for getting less and no point IF I plead NOT Guilty and defend my case?
None whatsoever.
You have a chance for a reduction if you plead GUILTY.

If you plead Not Guilty, you go to trial.

Win, and you get nothing.

Lose, and you get it ALL.
What options do I've and how many chances are out there for me?
Two options. Accept the offer and plead guilty. Reject the offer and go on to trial.

Chances going to trial: 50/50. Either you win, or you lose.
I asked a local layer who practices very close to that District Court, he is over charging me ($350) and still can't guarantee for completly taking off all points and the charges?
"Overcharging" is a relative statement. He sets his rates as he sees fit. If it's more than you want to pay, hire a different one.

NO attorney can guarantee you what a trial's outcome will be.

shamio

Curt581: U wrote that "You have a chance for a reduction if you plead GUILTY", if I Plead Guilty, than I don't any chances of arguing with anyone in law enforcement agency. If I plead NOT Guilty than May Be I can get some reduction in the court. Last time I had this situation. I Was over 30 miles. Judge gave a relaxation of 20 miles and charged only 15. It was in Lancaster court. This time Hamburg, PA. What do you think?
Trooper indicated radar detected speed.

PS: I had my radar detector in my car. but it never beeped. I'm pretty sure he catched me with that Pole clocking system. Does anybody know that system? How it works, do they take picture of your car with that system?

Thanks

Crazed98

Radar detectors don't detect everything especially if you have a cheap Wal-Mart one.

Plus, many police officers don't leave their radars on. They will wait until they see someone and then activate it (I learned that the hard way getting caught doing 105/55 by a PA tropper).

Lastly, he may have been using laser which isn't detected by some of the radar detectors that only look for x,y,k,and ka band frequencies.

shamio

How does the Pole clocking system works? When a vehicle passes 1st booth, it starts the clock and upon hitting the 2nd pole it stops and calculates the speed, (I think so) but How does a cop gets notification? Do they take picture of your car with that system? How many points I'm gonna get for this offense (just an idea).

Thanks

I am not sure what you are referring to "Pole clocking system" unless you are referring to ENRADD. But if ENRADD were used then Clocked would probably be specified along with the distance (between sensors). I haven't looked at the PA Bulletin recently to see if there are any new radar types approved (all approved radars, both types and models, must be posted in the PA bulletin).

ENRADD was recently (relatively speaking) approved for use by local police and it appears they have really jumped on it but I don't know how much it is used by state police (I'm guessing it was state police since it was on the interstate).

Also there is a place on the ticket that has the serial no (sometimes they write the model # also) and the cal/testing station so you might be able to determine the equipment by cross referencing or just calling up the police barracks.

Of course if you are going to plead guilty then this is irrelavant, however if you are going to fight you need all the info you can get.

Bravo8

LIDAR (or Laser) is not approved for use in PA.

If the Trooper checked the RADAR box, then he used RADAR. There is no "pole radar" or whatever you speak of. I think what you are referring to is a time over distance calculation, such as Accutrack, VASCAR, Tracker, etc.

The device is manually operated by the officer. He activates the device as you pass the first reference point (doesn't have to tbe a pole) and flips the switch again when you hit the second point. The distance between the two points is known to the officer and entered into the machine prior to clocking vehicles. The device calculates your travel time in seconds, and converts your feet per second into a mile per hour read-out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">