• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When do I submit to authorities?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

asdf

Hi, Since I'm a very suspicious person, I was wondering how I could be certain that the person who might "pull me over" would, indeed, be a police officer, as he claims?
Uniforms, badges, identification, flashing lights? They don't satisfy me. A person who would go to such lengths to impersonate a police officer, would probably do anything.
(cop logic, used against themselves)
My life would probably be in danger. While closely scrutinizing his credentials, I say, "This I.D. looks fake. Impersonating a police officer is probably a pretty serious crime, but maybe I'll let you go this time".
Having them "call for back-up" wouldn't work for me either, that's just what I'd expect from "bad guys", they work in gangs.
What if, and this is kind of a stretch, I asked the guy if he wasn't "switched at birth". (Everyone has heard the story, where babies get mixed up at the hospital.)
How could he be absolutely certain he wasn't someone else's kid? His whole life would be a lie... His I.D. wouldn't be right...

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by asdf:
Hi, Since I'm a very suspicious person, I was wondering how I could be certain that the person who might "pull me over" would, indeed, be a police officer, as he claims?
Uniforms, badges, identification, flashing lights? They don't satisfy me. A person who would go to such lengths to impersonate a police officer, would probably do anything.
(cop logic, used against themselves)
My life would probably be in danger. While closely scrutinizing his credentials, I say, "This I.D. looks fake. Impersonating a police officer is probably a pretty serious crime, but maybe I'll let you go this time".
Having them "call for back-up" wouldn't work for me either, that's just what I'd expect from "bad guys", they work in gangs.
What if, and this is kind of a stretch, I asked the guy if he wasn't "switched at birth". (Everyone has heard the story, where babies get mixed up at the hospital.)
How could he be absolutely certain he wasn't someone else's kid? His whole life would be a lie... His I.D. wouldn't be right...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

You're also paranoid suffering from dilusions. But, mental illness aside, you could very politely ask the uniformed person to lead you to the stationhouse for positive i.d., and then that uniformed person will place you in a nice, warm, padded cell.

To the Twilight Zone intro:

"You unlock this door with the key of imagination . . . beyond it is another dimension, a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You've just crossed over into . . . the Twilight Zone."

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

[This message has been edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE (edited March 30, 2000).]

A

asdf

Where would he take me if he wasn't a cop?
Good thing this is a "free" country, where being suspicious or paranoid isn't against the law.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by asdf:
Where would he take me if he wasn't a cop?
Good thing this is a "free" country, where being suspicious or paranoid isn't against the law.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

I said: " . . . lead you" the presumption being that you would drive your car, and the uniformed person would drive their car behind you, following you to a stationhouse or precinct. And, no one said you'd have to get out of your car, if the "stop" was for a traffic ticket. In point of fact, officers DO NOT like it when a civilian gets out of the car for a mere traffic violation. You merely wait in your car seat to get your ticket, sign it, and then, if you don't believe it's a "real ticket," then you call the authorities, or again, go the the stationhouse, for verification.

Here's a funny joke for you:

A police examiner was interrogating 3 blondes
who were testing to become detectives.
To test their skills in recognizing a suspect, he showed the first blonde a picture for 5 seconds and then hid it.
"This is your suspect, how would you recognize him?"

The first blonde answered, "That's easy, we'll catch him fast because he only has one eye!"

The examiner said, "Well... uh... that's because the picture shows his profile."

Slightly flustered by this ridiculous response, he flashed the picture for 5 seconds at the second blonde and asked,
"This is your suspect, how would you recognize him?"

The second blonde giggled, flipped her hair and said, " Ha! He'd be too easy to catch because he only has one ear!"

The examiner angrily responded, "What's the matter with you two?!? Of course only one eye and one ear are SHOWING because it's a picture of his profile!! Are those the best answers you can come up with?"

Extremely frustrated at this point, he showed the picture to the third blonde
and, in a very testy voice, asked, "This is your suspect, how would you recognize him?"
He quickly added, "...think hard before giving me a stupid answer."

The blonde looked at the picture intently for a moment and said, "Hmmmm... the suspect wears contact lenses."

The examiner was surprised and speechless, because he really didn't know himself if the suspect wore contacts or not.
"Well, that's an interesting answer... wait here for a few minutes while I check his file and I'll get back to you on that."

He left the room and went to his office, checked the suspect's file in his computer and came back with a beaming smile on his face. "Wow! I can't believe it... it's TRUE! The suspect does, in fact, wear contact lenses. Good work! How were you able to make such an astute observation?"

"That's easy," the blonde replied. "He can't possibly wear regular glasses because he only has one eye and one ear."

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

A

asdf

Did you ever hear the story about a lady who was going to sue the government agency in charge of daylight savings time? (Bureau of Standards?) Her claim was that because of the dry year and especially because of the extra hour of daylight, her lawn and garden got 'burnt up'. I was told that if she got the right jury, she'd win.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">