• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm running away

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rara64

What is the name of your state? NY

I am an Ontario resident in Canada. Got a speeding ticket in the New York State for speeding at 78 in 55 zone in April. I plead not guilty and they gave me a court date on June 20. I can not make it to court on that day and requested a reschedule but they refused.

So if I do not show up on court on that date, what will happen? Can they suspend my Ontario liscense? Or will they increase my fine even more and force me to pay it? If I never, ever, ever go to the state of NY ever again... which will be painful but I can do it.... can I just get away with this?

This is terrible... I'm being punished for loving to shop in the states! =(

Curt581

rara64 said:
So if I do not show up on court on that date, what will happen?
Your driving privileges in the State of New York will be suspended. An arrest warrant may be issued. If you are caught driving again in that state, you could be subject to arrest.
Can they suspend my Ontario liscense?
No.
Or will they increase my fine even more and force me to pay it?
The fine itself would probably not increase, but there may be other costs and surcharges involved, like a warrant service fee, or a driver's status reinstatement fee... along with a bunch of inconvenient trips to other offices to get it cleared up.
If I never, ever, ever go to the state of NY ever again... which will be painful but I can do it.... can I just get away with this?
Possibly. I don't recommend doing that, because "Never say Never".

Also, when you come here to do whatever, you are a guest in our country. Would that be any way for a guest to act?
This is terrible... I'm being punished for loving to shop in the states!
Oh, get a grip. :rolleyes:

You were not punished for "shopping". You were cited for SPEEDING. You'd expect a US citizen visiting Canada to obey your laws, wouldn't you? Wouldn't you expect them to conduct themselves like a "guest" in your house?

lwpat

I can not make it to court on that day and requested a reschedule but they refused.
Did you file a written motion for a continuance and do you have a valid reason?

Have you called the ADA and tried to negotiate?

NY reports back to Canada so they will probably suspend your license if you do not show or pay the ticket. What is your defense other than just the chance the officer doesn't show?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">