• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

just found out my license has been suspended

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Rossi

Last week, I was trying to find a new insurance company, but the agent told me that my license has been suspended since last July. It was because I forgot to go to court for a speeding ticket. The DMV must've sent me a letter but somehow I never got it. What should I do now? If I go to DMV to turn in my license, they're not going to arrest me, are they? Also, the suspension period was 6 month, starting from July of 1999. Obviously, it's been almost 8 months now, do I still have to turn my license in, or can I just act like nothing ever happened? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rossi:
Last week, I was trying to find a new insurance company, but the agent told me that my license has been suspended since last July. It was because I forgot to go to court for a speeding ticket. The DMV must've sent me a letter but somehow I never got it. What should I do now? If I go to DMV to turn in my license, they're not going to arrest me, are they? Also, the suspension period was 6 month, starting from July of 1999. Obviously, it's been almost 8 months now, do I still have to turn my license in, or can I just act like nothing ever happened? Any advice is greatly appreciated.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

The letter from the DMV is the least of your trouble. You undoubtedly have a Bench Warrant issued for your arrest. Whether you drive and get caught, or you voluntarily turn yourself in to a police authority, you will be arrested; the latter of which might be in your favor if, when in front of the judge, you apologize profusely, the judge will read that you gave up on your own. You will get some jail time and/or community service time, along with a stiff fine. Seek the assistance of an attorney for a defense. If you don't have the money, the court will assign defense counsel to you.

Good Luck.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

R

Rossi

Yikes, I never thought it would be this bad. If I decide to get my own attorney, what are the chances of me not having to go to jail and just pay the stiff fine? Also, I am currently in the U.S. as a foreign student. Will this case has any affects on my immigration status at all? Now I'm afraid that I might get deported! :-(

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rossi:
Yikes, I never thought it would be this bad. If I decide to get my own attorney, what are the chances of me not having to go to jail and just pay the stiff fine? Also, I am currently in the U.S. as a foreign student. Will this case has any affects on my immigration status at all? Now I'm afraid that I might get deported! :-( <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Yes, by all means, get an attorney if you can afford the expense. However, let's keep this matter in perspective: this is not a "major crime." This is a misdemeanor, and not a crime that will cause a deportation. If you spend any time in jail, I foresee nothing worse than, perhaps, a weekend, to possibly 7 days. More than likely, you'll probably get zero jail time, but get plenty of "community service" time. You will get hit with a fine, but the court can put that on a payment schedule.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

R

Rossi

Thanks! You've been a great help. By the way, do you know of any attorneys in Charlotte, NC? I know I can find plenty of them in the phonebook, but is there anyway I can tell which one is "better" than the others? Thanks again.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Thanks! You've been a great help. By the way, do you know of any attorneys in Charlotte, NC? I know I can find plenty of them in the phonebook, but is there anyway I can tell which one is "better" than the others? Thanks again.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

With the exception of obtaining suggestions from friends, there really is no sure method for one that is "better" than another. However, if your call your State's Bar Association for a referral in your category of offense, they will refer you to 1 to 3 attorneys on their "preferred list." You may have to pay a consultation fee and, when you hire such an attorney, you will more than probably be expected to pay a retainer fee at that time. Bring your checkbook.

Good luck to you.

IAAL

------------------

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">