• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

School Zone Blues!!!Double fees Help please!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mk

I am requesting advice from a person who knows of any loop holes in this case.....
I was driving my little ones to school today...(late) and unaware that the school speeding zone was still in effect.( There isn't a flashing light, but rather a sign that states the time it is in effect) I usually have to fight my way to the front of the school through lines of cars backed up traffic and cute little crossing guards. I am very much aware of the speed limit when the children are close by. The opposite was true today with regard to the crowd of people packing in line to get their kids dropped off and have their way off to work... because "no one was around"! Oh except the Nice (yea right!) little (little brain!) police woman with the radar gun... (I'm still bitter!)
My pride was taken away.... (after 5 years and a clean record) the moment I was given this ticket! (It didn't help matters much that the elementary school kids(fogging up windows) found more of an interest in my little problem then their daily review of their ABC's... With noses smashed up against windows in exciting anticiapation to see a live view of "Cops" it was the only humor I found in the morning.
My nose felt smashed and my jaw dropped the moment I realized that the fee for this ticket was $280.00. I was told I was clocked at 31 mph in the 15 mile school zone. The 25 mph speed limit would have been in affect if I would have traveled down this road about five minutes later. (I wished I'd had followed that Coffee Craving...and stopped at the corner Cafe...... !)
So now, here I am on line...asking total stangers...for help...
why? Because I don't want to pay the @#@@! ticket fine. With the extra $280.00 I could pay for tickets for the kids to Disney!( I am playing on your sympathy)
Well, whatever the case .... I don't feel guilty! I just feel like I need to do something to prove my case...if there is one!
Help! ( oh did I mention the fact that direct sunlight was shining straight into my eyes...) Not that it matters... (I don't know!) This Flordia Law we are talking about!
The frosting on the cake ....or should i say..the doggie doo doo is that a little boy recently got hit in a school zone close by... so of course this does not help matters.
I am resposible driver and more importantly a resposible protective parent ...so I am torn because If it weren't me and another person was speeding through this school zone...I'd probably say, "Ticket Her, fine her.... in an attempt to teach her not to neglect paying closer attention to school zones. I know everyone makes mistakes.... mine could have been fatal if there were a little boy in the road....
Anyway... I wish ...the fee were not so large...I've learned my lesson... !
So... my future is in your hands to help guide, persuade ,condemn, laugh at, whatever... Go ahead roll with it... I will look forward to your response! Sorry in School Zones

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mk:
I am requesting advice from a person who knows of any loop holes in this case.....
I was driving my little ones to school today...(late) and unaware that the school speeding zone was still in effect.( There isn't a flashing light, but rather a sign that states the time it is in effect) I usually have to fight my way to the front of the school through lines of cars backed up traffic and cute little crossing guards. I am very much aware of the speed limit when the children are close by. The opposite was true today with regard to the crowd of people packing in line to get their kids dropped off and have their way off to work... because "no one was around"! Oh except the Nice (yea right!) little (little brain!) police woman with the radar gun... (I'm still bitter!)
My pride was taken away.... (after 5 years and a clean record) the moment I was given this ticket! (It didn't help matters much that the elementary school kids(fogging up windows) found more of an interest in my little problem then their daily review of their ABC's... With noses smashed up against windows in exciting anticiapation to see a live view of "Cops" it was the only humor I found in the morning.
My nose felt smashed and my jaw dropped the moment I realized that the fee for this ticket was $280.00. I was told I was clocked at 31 mph in the 15 mile school zone. The 25 mph speed limit would have been in affect if I would have traveled down this road about five minutes later. (I wished I'd had followed that Coffee Craving...and stopped at the corner Cafe...... !)
So now, here I am on line...asking total stangers...for help...
why? Because I don't want to pay the @#@@! ticket fine. With the extra $280.00 I could pay for tickets for the kids to Disney!( I am playing on your sympathy)
Well, whatever the case .... I don't feel guilty! I just feel like I need to do something to prove my case...if there is one!
Help! ( oh did I mention the fact that direct sunlight was shining straight into my eyes...) Not that it matters... (I don't know!) This Flordia Law we are talking about!
The frosting on the cake ....or should i say..the doggie doo doo is that a little boy recently got hit in a school zone close by... so of course this does not help matters.
I am resposible driver and more importantly a resposible protective parent ...so I am torn because If it weren't me and another person was speeding through this school zone...I'd probably say, "Ticket Her, fine her.... in an attempt to teach her not to neglect paying closer attention to school zones. I know everyone makes mistakes.... mine could have been fatal if there were a little boy in the road....
Anyway... I wish ...the fee were not so large...I've learned my lesson... !
So... my future is in your hands to help guide, persuade ,condemn, laugh at, whatever... Go ahead roll with it... I will look forward to your response! Sorry in School Zones
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

In most States, when a Radar Gun is used, the reading must be XX miles over the maximum speed limit before a speeding conviction can be upheld (this being the rule because of errors in the calibration). So, do two things: 1) Find out by calling your DMV how much faster you must be going over the speed limit in order for Radar to be admitted into evidence;
2) Find out from the DMV how often the Guns must be calibrated. If the Gun wasn't calibrated, it's speed evidence cannot be admitted.

I watched the Indy 500, and I was thinking that if they left earlier they wouldn't have to go so fast.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

M

mk

Thanks for taking some of your time to suggest a solution. I will call the DMV ASAP, and as far as the Indy 500 goes...I heard that they all have IBS and are searching for the bathroom ! mk

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">